Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#95911 Sat Jun 07 2008 07:05 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Greetings to all.

I’m quite new to this Gas Pump Compulsion; but, I’ve learned a bit by searching the Internet, visiting a number of sites, and reading a LOT of the postings by members of the Petroliana brotherhood.

But first a little of my “Back-Story”:

My wife, Christine, wanted to buy a Pump for my birthday in June. She would have liked to keep it a secret until the actual day – but that proved to be too complicated. With my help, she completed a purchase on eBay and we planned a trip to Michigan from our home in the North Carolina mountains. I retired here in 1994, after a career as a mechanical engineer in the Military Electronics field.

We had both developed an interest and longing after seeing an actual pump here and there – most likely Repros, I expect.

Chris paid a “best offer” price of $575 for a pump described as follows:

“This is an old Gas Pump that measures 77" tall with the topper and 60" without, it is 26" wide and 18" deep, it is in unrestored condition but is cool just the way it is, this is for pickup in Ann Arbor, Michigan. 48103 or buyer is to arrange and pay shipping. I can crate it for $150 if needed, thanks” file:///F:/Program%20Files/Zotero/storage/11494/eBayISAPI.html

Three pictures of a green pump with red doors and tops accompanied the auction offer and the price seemed fairly reasonable … at the time. Paint job is quite rough and seems to be inappropriate to the Sky Chief sign and globe.

When we picked up the pump it was almost midnight, dark, and only our new Garmin 760 GPS got us to our destination without fuss and muss.

Upon returning home, I began the Google Trek through the Internet. [What did we do before the Net and Search Engines?]

It took me several days before I decided the pump was a Bennett 700 series – there are hundreds of pictures available to look at. With Jack Sim’s help via his posting on 07-31-2004 04:16 PM, I was able to pin it down to a 756 or 766 model. (The ID tag is missing!)

More days went by and I determined a number of other parts are missing. Taking my Credit Card in hand, I purchased a Tag, Trim Ring Assembly, Reset Crank, Number Decals, Script Tag, Frame and R-101 Rubber, Hose, Hinged Door and Cam Lock Kit, Ad Glass, Window Divider Chrome, and Window Kit. I decided to only complete the front side for now and have a rear window into the Veeder Root Computer workings, instead. (At least for now.)

I read the postings on Rust Removal and bought some Naval Jelly for the Pump Face – of which I have only one. About this time, I realized that I had only a lower mount for the Face – something was missing. No! Really?

Yes …. Really … it Was missing! The Totalizer – both actually. I didn’t know what it was called or what it looked like at the time. I found a set of photos by Mr Bill that showed the computer in great detail: http://www.oldgas.com/shoptalk/ubb/Forum1/HTML/008772.html

That and the following site gave me a name for the part: http://www.bennettusa.com/bookpart/093-comp.htm

Further searches seemed to indicate that parts like this are not likely to be found separately; but, part of a complete or rebuilt computer (with a core exchange).

At this point the Chapter ends – but, not the Story. I have the parts I ordered, to install. I need to gin up someway to hold the Face Plate in place, without the Totalizer mounting points. I also need to overcome the desire to actually disassemble and rebuild it – for the time, anyway.

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
M
OP Offline
M

Mr Bill's picture, as appended by me.

This is my computer. Notice Tie-Wraps holding unit, instead of hardware. Not too Cool!

Hmmmm .... been trying to show images inline with the post - with no luck at all.

Got it!!

[This message has been edited by Mr OldeWrench (edited 06-07-2008).]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
WELCOME TO OLDGAS
I'm not a photobucket user, but are you selecting the link for FORUMS ?
This link is an excellent Tutorial for useing ImageShack: http://www.oldgas.com/shoptalk/ubb/Forum11/HTML/000001.html
db

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Per your 2nd picture, you have a Bottom Mount computer. You need a side mount like shown in 1st picture, but with 9 wheels per side.

M
OP Offline
M
Dick, thanks for the assistance.

I'd already managed to figure out my problem. I started out making a choice that used {URL} in the code - not {img}. Then when I edited that change, I didn't notice the equals sign left in the entry. Removing that solved the problem.

Incidentally, in the observance of coincidences when they occur:
My Wife's maiden name is Bennett
Your name is Bennett
My new/old pump is a Bennett

My wife is Australian and lovingly applies the term DAGGY to my, admittedly, well-used pump.

[This message has been edited by Mr OldeWrench (edited 06-08-2008).]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome aboard and good luck with the pump. I can't help but think of your UserName every time I go into my shop.
Mike

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That is the correct computer for that pump.
The pic shows a mount on the variator top plate where the zip tie has it suspended, there should be two more mounts. There should be mounts at the 3,7,10 o'clock positions, when the LOWER mount (in pic with wire) is at 7 o'clock position. 2 on the left, 1 on the right side as picture shows with totalizer facing front.

On the 700 series Bennetts there is a long spacer that goes on top of the variator lower mount and under the steel mount that is bolted to the frame, a longer bolt will be needed too.
That is why the ties are there....no spacer.

The computer, as long as all three mounts are there is good.
You need a front totalizer for a crankback computer for your face mount.

I rebuild computers if you don't want to dive into it. I can also upgrade your computer with indented wheels.....They look much better than putting decals on it, and would still be HISTORICALLY correct.
There would be a small charge to replace the totalizer, and an upgrade charge on the wheels.
I can make your computer look like this.

Due to inavailibility of good used or new parts I use a card to simulate the totalizer #'s.
There may be someone on site that may have a NOS totalizer with good wheels.

I normally charge $150.00 for a rebuild.
Irreperable damage to major parts will constitute a core charge of $30.00
I am offering wheel upgrade @ $20.00
While I have extra wheels.

The computer you have is a model 49 crankback
Good luck

Veeder Root Rebuilds.....since 1987
Veeder Root Identification CD
Gas Pump Clock Repair
jkyocom@bellsouth.net

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings