Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
ROTM is back with the help of Hubba. He will be showing pictures and some of the steps of his 2 latest restorations:

1933 Victor Clockface Pump

1930 Bowser Xacto Sentry Pump

This monthly thread is only possible with the help of oldgas.com members and their contributions. I wish I had time, knowledge, and finances to do enough projects to keep you guys entertained, but unfortunately I don’t. So if any of you want to volunteer your expertise and skill and would like to show us your stuff, email me at jason@galtsmiles.com and I will start a ROTM for you with your pictures and descriptions.

This thread has died off for the last couple of months because I haven’t had any volunteers. There are a lot of projects in the works, but none that are ready. We need to learn about anything and everything that has to do with restoring petro related items. I would like to see topics on the following:

Pump painting techniques
Polishing
Chrome plating
Welding
Globe lens making
Decal making
Quartcan Rolling and repairing

I’m sure you guys can come up with many more. So let me know.

But for now, enjoy Hubba’s Show. Hubba, take it away my friend.

~Jason

6 ft signs & rare pump plates – Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Polly, Flying A, Douglas, Richfield, PDQ, Stinker, Beeline, Neon , Dealership.

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hi all..I am at work and will get some pictures on when I get home. Let me first say that I am not aprofessional pump builder..i do what I can to make them look COOL. I will show you how i aproached it and give some of my ways of doing things but as we all know there are many different ways to do things, mine may not be the best but if someone picks up on something they feel might work for them then thats great. The first pump I will post about is a Victor Clockface pump circa 1933. I was told its a pretty rare west coast pump put out only for a couple years out of Los Angeles ('32-'33) if anyone has more info on Victor Pumps , please share it. I bought the pump from Fred Stoke at one of his bashes and it was dissasembled and had been sandblasted already. I was happy to find all the pieces except the manufactures tags. There were I think 5 or 6 pumps all disassembled and in boxes and I was able to find the missing pieces by rooting the the boxes. Good thing too because tracking down parts for this pump would have proved to be a real challenge. Since it was disassembled and blasted already it went to my buddy Dale Gerber for powdercoating. I recieved it back and did the wiring and put it all back together. I will post pictures later when i get home from work.

------------------
Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK and humble moderator

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
After getting the pump from Dale (who did an outstanding powdercoat job on it) I started to assemble.

Here are some shots of the assembly and electric. Since this pump was gutted and blasted before I ever saw it i had to rig up some electrical to light it up. i went to Home depot and got some 1/2" pipe and some of that wire already in the metal casing and a juction box. I had to make a little block off plate at the top with the built in globe holder to hang the electric. The trick was hanging the junction box at the right height to mount the clock lightshade bulbs.

After that was figured out I just ran the metal wiring down and zipped tied it to the frame.

I wired an inline switch into a cord I got at the store so you can turn it on and off with ease and wired it and ran it through the bottom.

Got a length of pipe I liked for the way cool double visigage siteglass and mounted that.

------------------

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here the Victor is assembled...i used brass bolts and washers because i thought it looked great with the colors.

I am also going to post my bowser 310 in progress and try to finish it up this month for all to see. This pump is interesting because i got the bottom portion on Ebay. It had no upper skins or clock mech. but it did have the castings (most important). I am rigging it up reproduction parts to be complete at least to the eye.

Our friend Brian Charlton is letting me post pictures of his erie clockface he finished awhile back toPolly gas and its outstanding. I will load up some pics of brians work tomorrow.

------------------

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Oh yes..i REALLY want to extend a big thanks to everyone that helped me with this treasure.
Fred Stoke for the pump itself.
Tom Stover for hauling and storing it for me.
Husky Bob for the Clack decals.
Pogogas Lance for the globe.
and Dale Gerber for the cool powdercoating.

I think the pump looks great and it couldnt look that way without the help of these great people. Thanks again.

------------------

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Very cool Hubba! Larry :}

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hubba:

Looking good. I really like the dual visigage. Thanks for the information/peek.

Later . . .

Jim

------------------
www.T-waysGraphics.com

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Awesome work Hubba. Thanks for sharing. ~Jason

~Jason

6 ft signs & rare pump plates – Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Polly, Flying A, Douglas, Richfield, PDQ, Stinker, Beeline, Neon , Dealership.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Thanks for the compliments..on a side note about this pump..Since the Victor Pump Company were not in Business for long. They Used Neptune clockfaces and mechanisms. Its my understanding that the company wasnt around long enough to manufacture there own faces and mechs. Since information on this pump Company is hard to come by if anyone has any other info or can verify anything I am sharing with documentation..I would love to hear more. Thanks everyone..I will be posting some of Brian Chartons work next.

------------------

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Hubba, looks GREAT buddy, glad you got r done!!!!!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hubba, great looking pump! I found a victor at the "Escalon" bash last year. That was the first one I'd seen. I like the twin cylinder visi-guage. Mine had one too. Good job, keep them coming.

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas

Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
oltoydoc@vintagegas.com
(310)415-9562 Cel.
Vintage Gas
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here are some pictures of Brian Charltons 1928 Erie Clockface pump before restoration started.

[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v309/djhubba/brianselect.bmp[/img]

This is a very cool pump and with Brians handywork it turned into an outstanding awesome pump. I will post more pictures of the restoration process tomorrow.

------------------

[This message has been edited by djhubba (edited 04-10-2005).]

H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
WOW..... Hubba.... very nicely done.... that is the first pump I have seen restored to Clack..... nice of you to do it on such a rare one..... thanks for helping the hobby....
bob

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is a shot of Brians erie during the disassembly and clean up.

Here is Brian hard at work

------------------

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Painting can be tricky to get right but Brian sure looks happy in this picture with the way the top and base came out.

I will post the finished pump later tonight or tomorrow. its awesome.

------------------

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved