Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
R
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
R
This is the first post for the new collectible of the week. Let's see what you all have. It's show and tell time.
In the top row, the first two lighters are Standard Oil of Kentucky(KYSO). Anything from this company is hard to find. The Chevron lighter and the Union 76 are lighters that I actually used when I smoked back in 1975. The neatest lighter is the Mobil Browser dual pump from Australia. As you can see it is in two parts. You pulled out the lighter to use it. It has the dealer’s name on the bottom. The other Mobil lighter reads “Vacuum Standard”. It has never been used.

This is the only KYSO lighter fluid can that I have ever seen. It was first sold in 1940 by Standard Oil dealers for 10 cents. According to the 1940 Standard Oil dealer news. The other lighter fluid can has the Chevron hallmark but was made in Louisville, KY

I know that there are a lot of lighters out there. Let’s see them. If you have one or 101 share them with us. Let’s have some fun. Rex.

------------------

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Great lighters and cans Rex. I like the Vacuum one the best. I guess I like the companys that could have made it on there own if it wasn't for the big one that controlled there destiny. still a great group.

I'm going to start with my favorite company of Seaside, in the first image we have the match book from 1921 , two early lighters (This Car too uses Seaside Gasoline) from the 1930ties and 40ties, then we have three n.o.s. there last logo and there change in colors from the red, yellow,and blue to red,white ,and blue as they changed in 1941, but the logo did not come about till 1959.

I f you will look at the match book when opened, you will see that the matches were visable pumps and if the butt hole hadn't cut the heads off the matches, they were globes.

[This message has been edited by Dwaine Buck (edited 09-22-2003).]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great job Rex and DB. Here are some Phillips 66 and Husky lighters. The one Husky on the left is a fantasy piece. Scott in Kansas City home of the 3-0 Chiefs.
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b3d703b3127cce8e87288d685c0000003610[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b3d703b3127cce8e87296ca9150000003610[/img]
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b3d703b3127cce8e872955281c0000003610[/img]

Scott Shipers
WANTED: quart picture cans
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is an old Mobil Bunker oils lighter.

i dont know what bunker oils are but its cool and i like it.
------------------------------------------
Hubba

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
I would say Bunker was a distributors name. He most likely carried a wide assortments of oils not just Mobil. or he wanted to keep the cost down on a givaway item.

Rex , ol pal if these guys don't post some more lighters soon, I might have to throw some more out here.

F
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
F
Very nice stuff... I will attempt, once again, to post a picture of my one and only Texaco lighter.

Frank in Seattle..Home of the 3-0 SEAHAWKS!!

Frank
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I would say Bunker oil and Crude are one and the same, sorry for the Crude email.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>> Maybe AWWTCHIE worked for Bunker Oil..LOL..dodogas

D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
This next image is of three lighters from SIGNAL oil, the first lighters logo was used from 1931 to the late 50ties and beyond, the second lighters logo was from the early 60ties, when they had moved there main offices to Houston, and the last was there last logo, used on a lot of different items, for a short time only but was called (SIGNAL COMPANIES)

this next image is a very rare advertiseing item made for John A. Houston from Burson, CA, even though its not a lighter, it fits in with these three. injoy.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hubba,
Bunker Oil was used for fueling ships, trains & steam generation plants. Most of these users today use diesel fuel.
Dick

R
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
R
Hubba, I recognize that lighter,its from the All In The Family TV show.It belonged to Archie BUNKER, Meathead gave it to him for his birthday.LOL Rex

------------------

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
[img]http://members.aol.com/lastgas15/lighter[/img]
The lighter fluid can; lighter; Triple X Motor Oil,Sinclair,and Dino Gasoline match books are from my son Jeff'f collection. My good friend Hubba sent me the Sherwood Brothers Sinclair Betholine match books to add to Jeff's collection.

Sherwood Brothers were jobbers that dual branded their stations Betholine Sinclair, and also Betholine Richfield.

[This message has been edited by Lastgas15 (edited 09-23-2003).]

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Dick..that makes sense..The guy I got the lighter from said he thought it had something to do with ships/marine oil.

Rex..you make me laugh my friend ...I dig it.

Pops...Your the Best.. yup yipper
----------------------------
Hubba

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Heres a few images that Frank from dodogas sent down,

thanks for shareing Frank.

[This message has been edited by Dwaine Buck (edited 09-23-2003).]

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Hey, I forgot one lighter, A small Zippo with a Shell pecton on it. Small ones were for ladies..a chick-flicker-lighter.
The Esso saysImperial above and agent below.
The top rt lighter is from Bennys Service ltd, as are the matches in the middle. There were 2 or 3 BA's in 3 block stretch .One was Pete's Ba, they had a Harley servi-car with a white paint job and the round BA logon back with Petes BA on it. Benny,s BA had a black oily lot beside it and they had hot rods and hot cars there.
I showed up at his widows house with a 59 phone book opened to their 1/2 page ad, and when she saw that I was in like Flynn, She insisted i have the lighter and box and the matches. She told me they opened around 47, thier name was Ueda and her brother Scotty Tanaka owned the Home station down the road, where i lived, our corner gas station.
dodogas

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Well, I'd love to add some photos, but most of my stuff it packed up for the move. I'm trying to get a photo of a blue husky lighter uploaded here. In the mean time, how is it Hubba's giving out "Sherwood Bro's" matches and I didn't get one? What's up with that Hubba bubba?

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas

Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
oltoydoc@vintagegas.com
(310)415-9562 Cel.
Vintage Gas
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved