Next Thread
Print Thread
#97639 Sun Oct 05 2003 08:22 AM
D
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
D
I really enjoy looking at old gas stations whether they are restored or sitting in their unrestored glory. Anybody have any pics they'd like to share?
My wife and and I drove about 80 miles out of our way to visit this one in Bassett, Nebraska, which is in north central Nebraska. We figured it would probably be closed because because of Labor Day but wished whoever wanted to sell their pickup would have parked it elsewhere. Nothing against FORDs of course. I thought later that I should have called the seller and asked for a test drive, only to park it acrooss the street to get a better picture of this little station. Jim will post the pic when he has time.
Have a GR8 DAY!
Rod
in Nebraska

Edit to insert image

[This message has been edited by Oldgas (edited 10-05-2003).]

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Rod, Here's a picture of a Standard (Ind) station I saw in southern Illinois. The blue ceramic Stanard Oil Products, and the torch have been chiseled off flush so furring strips could be installed. Most of the furring strips and siding have been torn off to reveal the original brick station.
[img]http://members.aol.com/lastgas15/standard[/img]

[This message has been edited by Lastgas15 (edited 10-05-2003).]

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hey Rod, here is a photo I took last year in a little town called "Shamrock, Texas". It is a great old art deco station called the "Tower Station".
The city now ownes the property, and is turning the station into the chamber of commerace building.

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
Vintage Gas

Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
oltoydoc@vintagegas.com
(310)415-9562 Cel.
Vintage Gas
D
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
D
Thanks guys! Keep'em coming.
Rod

------------------

Here's a cool old gas station within a couple of hours of my house. Gary Brower from California happened upon it and sent me the pictures. I probably came within a few miles of this many times and never knew it was there. Thanks Gary! Click on the images for larger versions

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
If you would like to know about and see more of the Tower Conoco station that is in Don's picture, we provide a Web page about it:
http://www.oldgas.com/info/towerconoco.html

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

This gas station doesn't have a cool historic building, but it does still have an old sign that has proudly stood above the canopy for years. They just removed the pumps and I'm afraid the historic Standard sign may not be far behind. I don't know if this is part of the Amoco to BP rebranding or if the station is closing. It is on old Route 66 not far my house (Watson Road & Laclede Station Road, St. Louis) I always thought it was cool that they kept the old Standard sign up there after the change to Amoco.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
G
G
GOOD IDEA ROD,HERE'S A DIFFERENT ONE I FOUND IN KANSAS, IT'S AN OLD STATION MADE IN TO A MINIATURE GOLF COARSE.

Edit to make image appear

[This message has been edited by Oldgas (edited 10-09-2003).]

G
G
HERE'S TWO MORE STATIONS I HAD PICTURES OF. ONE WAS IN KANSAS AND THE BRICK ONE IS IN IOWA.

C
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
C
[img]http://members.aol.com:/ethancarman/oldstation1[/img]

D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Heres a photo of a 1928 Union station .

D
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
D
Really enjoying the pics guys!
I drove by a station from the 40's Wednesday night on my usual way home from work. For the last 4 or 5 years this has been a car detailing place, but I noticed that it was pretty well empty and had that "out of business" look. I thought to myself that I wish someone would restore it to original beauty. The next night on my way to work I was saddened to see that it had been completely torn down and the machines were breaking up the concrete all around it. It's sad enough to see video rental places, or the like, tear out the islands, pumps etc. but to see these old landmarks of unique architecture fall to the "wreckin ball" is beyond words. Hindsight is 20/20. I should have taken some pictures of it.
Keep the pics comming!
Rod
in Nebraska, where it hasn't frozen the tomatoes....yet.

------------------

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved