Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
HELLO MY FELLOW GAS GEEKS!

TIME TO FIRE UP THOSE DIGITAL CAMERAS AND YOUR "BUYS OF THE WEEK" AND THEN POST 'EM HERE....SHARE 'EM WITH THIS REST OF US ON THIS POPULAR WEEKLY THREAD. SO WHAT DID YOU BUY IN THE PAST WEEK? WE WANNA SEE!

AS FOR ME? I'VE BID ON PUMPS BEFORE ON EBAY THAT WERE PRETTY CLOSE TO HOME...COUPLE...FEW HOURS OUT AND BACK. I SPOTTED THIS ONE PUMP NOT HAVING A VERY KNOWLEDGEABLE DESCRIPTION THAT WENT SOMETHING LIKE THIS: "early commercial red & white gas pump." SO I LOOKED....TURNS OUT TO BE A WAYNE MODEL 90....ONLY ONE PICTURE, BUT ASKED FOR MORE AND GOT THEM. LUCKILY, I WAS THERE AT THE END AND WON IT FOR A VERY REASONABLE PRICE. THAT WAS TUESDAY NIGHT. TODAY I DROVE NORTH TO NEWBURGH AND PICKED-UP THE PUMP. IT WAS CERTAINLY A VERY CLEAN ORIGINAL
JUST AS YOU SEE IT:

THE ORIGINAL PAINT STILL PRETTY SHINEY AND ALL THE PARTS ARE THERE EXCEPT ONE WINDOW AND GASKET. THE PUMP IS REALLY CLEAN INSIDE. I STARTED TAKING OUT THE GUTS AND NEW ROMEX/PJ WIRE WAS PRESENT! I THINK THIS PUMP WAS AN INDOOR/GARAGE USE APPLICATION. HOLE IN THE DOORS FOR SIGNS, BUT NO SIGNS. THE COLOR IS AN ORANGE RED AND WAS IN USE LOCAL TO NEWBURGH TOWNSHIP SO THE WOMAN SAID. IT REMINDS ME SHEETMETAL WISE TO A WAYNE 80 WITH SEVERE AND SUBTLE CHANGES AND ADDITIONS ESP. NOTICEABLE IN THE METER WINDOW. THE TOP IS ALMOST IDENTICAL TO A #80. HOWEVER, THE PUMP AND MOTOR ASSEMBLY ARE TOGETHER WITHIN THIS HUGE BLOCK WEIGHING I'D GUESS AT CLOSE TO 100 POUNDS!
I ALREADY LOOK LIKE I WORK AT THE "BUSTED KNUCKLE GARAGE!" BUT I HAVE A PLAN FOR IT'S REMOVAL!

ENJOY THIS WEEK'S B.O.T.W. AND BECOME A PART OF THE FUN!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGES
YOUR B.O.T.W. HOST!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
This is the top of the cylinder on the VICTORY part I got from Poorman. It was either an AIR or ELECTRIC operated pump, but I think ALL VICTORY's had this mech.

I bought a skeleton base about 7-8 yrs. ago, and started looking for the top section.
THANK YOU CURT.
Dick

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hi Doc,
Some of my buys for the week from the auction in Mi. Leonard  5 Qt.  Benzol tin pump sign dated 10-50. Gargoyle lubester sign porcelain. small porcelain fire chief sign dated '47
Thanks for posting Russ

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hi Doc,
Couple more from the auction in Mi ! Powerlube porcelain and a Sherwin Williams paint porcelain flange. 
Russ

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hey Doc,
One more from the auction, Blu-Flame lenses also got original glass body with these.Was a good auction!! Thanks for posting. One of these days I will try to figure out how to post pictures.
Russ

T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Didn't want to be a posting pig so I posted my pumps on a different post (see HAULIN PUMPS PART 2). The pumps were Saturdays haul, but that didn't stop me from looking for goodies on Sunday (after church of course).

Did the can can to add to my can can collection. Thanks to a buddy with a "can do" attitude I was able to put my hands on some new cans.

Don't know if this is petro related, but I got this nifty stop light too. Was in service in downtown Santa Barbara (not recently of course).

Better "stop" here and give someone else the "greenlight" to en"lighten" us with their finds. I can't "wait".

------------------
C Cragg
www.poormansmuseum.com

C Cragg
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
AH, CURT....YOU ARE THE MAN OF THE WEEK! TALK ABOUT ENTHUSIASM! THERE'S AN INSTANT GAS PUMP AND CAN COLLECTION. ARE YOU STILL SURE YOU WANT TO CALL YOURSELF
THE POOR MAN'S MUSEUM? 'CUZ FROM WHAT I CAN SEE...YOU ARE "RICH" WITH INVENTORY! WAY TO GO, MAN! THANKS FOR SHARING AND ALSO IN THE PERSONAL BOTW ANNEX
"HAULIN PUMPS PART 2!"

DOC @ TAG/WEST!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looks like Russ and Curt had a really good week. I picked up this quart from Maratime in Houston Texas. Notice the can says it is for aviation with a boat anchor on it.
[img]http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b4cc33b3127cceabde5ae6a1870000003610[/img]

------------------
Scott Shipers
WANTED Phillips 44 Items
Kansas City, Missouri 64151

Scott Shipers
WANTED: quart picture cans
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Doc,
Love that Wayne 90, you did well on that one. I found one like it once at an automotive swap meet, and bought it at a resonable price. They look nice restored with that side being stainless.

Rob

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great stuff guys. Russ, you sure made a haul!

Here are my contributions:

If the Sinclair oil jars look familiar its because they were Rex's BOTW awhile back. They have a permanent home now! Has anyone seen any Opaline jars like these?
The map is fairly rare and advertises Mobiline Motor Oil on the back cover. The H-C coupon book and the lighter fluid were ebay purchases. The lighter fluid is oval and not often seen with the newer logo. The decals were a gift from Bud Ellinghausen.
I picked up the two Atlas cans for my Standard collection which I've been neglecting.

[This message has been edited by Lastgas15 (edited 12-13-2004).]

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Hey Scott, maybe your can is for a float plane & they need the anchor to keep it from "floating away" Poor man, you've been kicking some serious *** lately! Nice job!!!!!!!!!

A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
Well, it has been a long time since I had anything new to add to my collection. I just picked this matchbook up on ebay. (sorry, the pic is not better, my camera is having issues)
I just love this Sunset stuff!!!!
If anyone has any Sunset stuff they would be willing to part with please let me know. I consider myself a pump guy but I would like to pick up some original Sunset things. (anything would be great!) Let me know.

I remember the good old days when gold was worth more than rust!
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
This is what the Poor Man's Museum is all about. Cheap Finds! 20 bucks for a rustic Pennzoil sign, a few nasty cans, some old tools, a light shade and an oil spout. Just as happy as I am with those pumps!

Awhile back when I was complaining about how expensive it was to get into this hobby after seeing the prices of porcelain signs, restored pumps and quart oil cans someone suggested that I collect two gallon cans. At the time I didn't know what a two gallon can looked like. I didn't go looking but somehow these cans have found me so I had to get off my can and get my cans organized. Darn things take up alot of room, but they are kind of fun to look at.

What you see there is all stuff that I've bought (or been given) in the last month and a half from calls off of my throw away ad.

The can below was in the photo of my buys of the week earlier in this post but I had to show Dick Bennett that it wasn't one of his repop cans. They even used a punch spout to pour it, gotta love that!

Looks like I've been spending a lot of money, but the truth is I've been very fortunate to get some real bargains on things that it would have taken me a long time to find at garage sales. I have also been given a number of nice things that people just wanted to see added to a collection and displayed.

One mans junk is another mans museum!

------------------
C Cragg
www.poormansmuseum.com

C Cragg
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
Hey what is a powerlube sign in this condition worth? I have one corrnerd that im going to try and buy tomarrow he says its supposed to be nice we will see.
Happy Hollidays
Brandon

R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Poorman The wrench in the picture next to the three grease guns is a lug nut wrench for a 1923 Chevrolet.
I too think the name poorman doesn't seem to fit.

------------------
ROD [Mich.]

ROD [Mich.]
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Thanks Rod, I had no idea what it went to. Anyone know what the wrench to the right of it is? Looks like a little tuning fork.

C Cragg
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
CURT, THAT TUNING FORK LOOKING TOOL KINDA REMINDS ME OF A TOOL I USE TO REMOVE A CAST CAP OR COVER ON MY WATER SHUT-OFF/ON VALVE. MAYBE SOMETHING SIMILAR TO THAT PREMISE GIVEN BASED ON TH FACT OF THE WAY THE TOOL IS DESIGNED LIKE YOU STICK THE FORK INTO HOLES ON A COVER AND USE THE SIDE ARMS TO LOOSEN AND TIGHTEN...FOLLOW?
JM2C!

DOC @ TAG/WEST

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Right you are, Doc!
Poor Man, The tuning fork looking wrench is to take the cast cap/lid off of a fill box at the fill pipe of an underground tank. We still sell some today...would work on different versions of fill boxes and drums, etc.

~ Tokheim

[This message has been edited by tokheim (edited 12-14-2004).]

Here are some eBay buys. This "powder puff" applied paint is from Australia.

The following can label says,"This paint is specially intended for refinishing autos and buggies where the owner doesn't care to go to the expense of having an experienced painter finish the work."

I have several other Steelcote cans, but this one has the best graphic with a guy painting his car with a brush. Mint and from St. Louis.

Hey Russ! I like that Sherwin-Williams sign.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved