Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#98513 Thu Apr 03 2003 08:56 PM
djhubba Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
This is the Saga of the old Bowser. I have had my eye on this old Bowser 595 for over a year. It was only about ten blocks from me at a wearhouse for the school district.. I had stopped in from time to time trying to buy the pump and making a slew of phone calls over a years time to no avail. I noticed that they were clearing out a bunch of stuff and they appeared to be moving out. I put another note on the pump and finally got a call back about it from a nice Lady that said indeed they were moving and the building was sold and everything was being cleared out.. I met with the Woman and she gave me more numbers to call that went unanswered. I met with her again - she said she would try to find out something and still nothing. I contacted her again and She said - you know what - just come pick up the pump tomorrow between 6:30 am and 8:30 am - The workers said - yea hes been comin around for a long time - he should have it. no one is suppose to see me take it she said because they are not suppose to give stuff away or sell stuff or nobody is suppose to salvage stuff from the trash because they are a part of the School district and technically its Tax payers property. I told her I paid taxes and I would love the pump. She said she would have her workers park their vans around the pump to shield me from public eyes. The pump was still bolted down so I brought tools the next morning and started unbolting it. I was surprised that not only werent the nuts frozen (came off real easy) but the pump was still functional - I couldnt cut the wires without shutting off power ...so She found and turned off all the breakers so I could get the pump out of there. A worker there even helped me load it into my truck. I was almost out of there when a guy pulled up ( I think he had a higher position than the nice lady)and YELLED - HEY - DO YOU HAVE PERMISSION TO TAKE THAT. I said - sure do. He said from who? I glanced at the Lady who looked at me like dont tell him it was me. I said ..I forget his name - "Downtown" just told me to remove the pump because everything has to be cleared out. He just shook his head and went inside. The nice lady gave me a releaved look and motioned for me to take off. Which I did. I was in and out of there in less than an hour. So - I have a new project. Its all apart already and will be a Phillips 66 pump since they primarly used Bowser equiptment. I have an original globe for it too. Here is something I have never seen
it was attatched to the pump and hose - was it just used for a meter when the gas wasnt being sold? Although the pump was still functional - it hadnt been used in decades - it used to fuel up the school buses in the morning. Is it worth anything? Anyone interested? Ebay fodder? Anyone having any thoughts LMK. I will post a picture of the pump all done up - maybe it will be finished before Pump of the Month thread focuses on Bowsers.
Hubba

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#98514 Fri Apr 04 2003 09:59 AM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
its GOOD you got the bowser!!! i bet you got down the street with it & then started laughin. the dude in the truck was probably askin around about who the guy was haulin the pump away. & nobody knew nothin about it! sounds like it was well worth the effort!!!

#98515 Fri Apr 04 2003 10:09 AM
djhubba Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
It was alot of leg work but ended great. Just goes to show you sometime persistance pays off. Happy Hunting Everyone.
Hubba

#98516 Fri Apr 04 2003 10:12 AM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Hubba , thats a meter to keep track of the gallons used , the one in the pump might not work anymore , just throw it away,or give it to a farmer , to put in inline, sounds good, can't wait to see all that tatoo art on the sides, hubba-hubba,

#98517 Fri Apr 04 2003 10:20 AM
djhubba Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Thanks Dwaine - I will give it to my Father in Law - he's a Farmer - Hes got a pump that he doesnt want to let me have because he wants to hook it up and use it - Chances are the meter on that is froze so this might come in handy for him. Thanks for the info.
Hubba

#98518 Fri Apr 04 2003 10:27 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hubba,
Glad you finally got that pump. I remember you telling me about it a long time ago. You gotta be persistant,but not so persistant as to be annouying.....its a fine line.
The price was right too. It should look great with that original globe on it. Ya know you're gonna have to do a Flite Fuel to go with it don't you?
Pops

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#98519 Fri Apr 04 2003 10:35 AM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Hubba make sure you get the doors of Dad-in-laws pump, that way no one else will want it!! A lot of (farm)pumps sometimes need fiddling with so they leave the doors off , then they get lost or broke or thrown out. Then you find a pump without doors and spend ten years looking for doors. A few Bowser pumps around here like that. If you give him the meter you will never get the pump, find a working late pump like 60's or up, buy it cheap and give it to him .
I think that meter is part of the pump that uses Frankie's sheep globe on the top, I think they were used by SHEPHERD GAS, i think they sold neatsfoot oil too !!! LOL DODOgas

#98520 Fri Apr 04 2003 12:45 PM
H
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
H
Hubba.... Way to think quick on your feet... you not only saved the pump, but the lady too.

#98521 Fri Apr 04 2003 07:27 PM
djhubba Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hey - Thanks everyone for the inpute - Dodogas - youre right my friend - I would like to find a later working pump and just trade him - all he wants to do is pump gas into his tractor - great advise. Huskybob - Thanks - I wanted to have the pump but didnt want anyone to be in trouble. I think everyone is happy. happy hunting
Hubba

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved