Oldgas.com Home

Home | Help | Events | Classifieds | Bookstore | Pictures | Auctions | Links | Collectors | Parts | Contact

Topic Options
#98569 - Sat Jan 17 2004 10:22 PM Nostalgic Stations Still in Use
DL Offline

Hi. I'm a young man who has always had a dream to work at a nostalgic full-service station (complete with old-fashioned pumps, attendants in uniforms with hats, coin-changers clipped to belts, etc.). The closest I've ever come is when I worked at both a local Texaco and a Clark Oil a few years ago when I was a teenager (believe it or not, the Clark station still used pump-top lighted globes--and this was in the late 1980s/early 1990s!). When I began working at these stations, they were no-service ("self-service"). I convinced the owners to let me run them as full-service stations, and business exceeded everyone's dreams! Unfortunately, they were both torn down to make way for huge mega-pumps convenience no-service stations that sell everything from gas to videos to golf clubs.

Currently I'm a teacher but am in the process of changing careers. Anyone know of old, nostalgic stations that still pump gas to the public (using old-fashioned pumps)? I would love to be an assitant, help out, pump gas, whatever...as long as I could make a living of it. At a functioning station however, not a museum. I'm a hard worker with a strong sense of ethics, am people-oriented and customer-friendly. I have a proven track record of sales, marketing, advertising, and success.

I've always had a passion for this, although my friends aboslutely don't understand why! My father and I restored a Martin & Schwartz pump when I was a kid, and I still have it today.

If anyone can help, or can steer me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it. I live in Minnesota but would relocate for the right business and the right people. I'm guessing that there aren't many options for Minnesota, anyway, because since Minnesota legalized no-service several years ago, very few stations pump your gas anymore (however, nearly all of the Sinclair, Phillips 66, and Standard Oil stations in Minn. are still full-service).

Thanks!

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#98570 - Sun Jan 18 2004 12:35 AM Re: Nostalgic Stations Still in Use
Dick Bennett Offline
Veteran Member

Loc: Santa Paula, Calif
Last time I was in Oregon [last year], they don't let you pump your own gas, and they won't wash your windows.
Good luck,
Dick

#98571 - Sun Jan 18 2004 08:17 AM Re: Nostalgic Stations Still in Use
Oldgas Online   cool

Loc: South of St. Louis, MO USA
The January picture on the Oldgas Printable Calendar is an operational station with visible hand operated pumps.

More places to see on our Petro Places to Visit page. I actually have been sent several more places to add when I have time.

There is a pretty cool station just over in Wisconsin that is still operating. It has modern MPD gas dispensers but the look & feel is from the good old days: http://www.oldgas.com/shoptalk/ubb/Forum1/HTML/001391.html

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

[This message has been edited by Oldgas (edited 01-18-2004).]

Click on magnifying glass icon on lower left to search eBay

Copyright © 2016 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved