Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#98860 Tue Jun 13 2006 10:04 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Another one? Sheesh... Well, don't worry - I actually traded one I already had for it. Cool story behind this one though...

As some of you may know, I live next door to an old Sunoco station. It started out as a DX in the early 40s, and turned to Sunoco sometime in the late 50s or early 60s. I'm very good friends with the guy that owns it - he bought it back in '79. He's still got a pic of the station when it opened, with tall 39s in DX colors and globes out front.

When I found out that the station still sold gas when Kenny bought it it '79, the first thing I did was ask what kind of pumps were there, and what happened to them. Kenny said that they were Wayne 511 Blend-O-Matics, and that he was shut down, in the early 80s, because the pumps were inaccurate. They were actually dispensing more gas than they indicated. When I asked what he did with the pumps, he said "I scrapped all of that **** ..."

So, I just had a personal moment of silence for the pumps, and wrote off the prospect of getting one.

Fast forward a year or so to a few weeks ago. While I was at school, a technician friend told me that a mutual acquaintance had just gotten a new gas pump. Not unusual, since he has 10 or so pumps, and is a collector. But, my friend said "the pump came from the station right next door from you, originally."

Very interesting...

I drove by the guy's house - I had viewed his collection before. He showed the a pretty solid Wayne 511, and said that got it from a guy that found it in a barn here in town. Apparently it had somehow been intercepted on the way to the scrapyard!

To make a long story short, I ended up trading him my Bowser 41 for the Blend-O-Matic. We were both happy with the trade, and he's going to restore the 41. Plus, I got that 41 at an auction for 10 bucks

The pump is super-solid. Only one brush coat of paint over the original. It has large silver decals covering the doors. Also notice the blockoff plates over the blend prices, and the octane decal.

At some point, it was turned into a single-grade pump for 89 octane. A "Lead Regular" decal was put over the "Custom Blended" on the glass. Then, even later, it was converted to a Diesel pump, and white stickers were put over the "Lead Regular" decal.

Here are the pics... No rust or dents!
Needs new faceplates, buttons, and some rechroming, and one door glass...

Here's the computer. It has 70 number wheels!!!!

I'm very anxious to restore the pump. It will go in my living room, by the couch. I think it's awesome that I found one of Kenny's old pumps. I can't wait to show him tomorrow... Since I'm leaving this town this weekend, it means a lot to me to have what I feel is a piece of Riley, Indiana.

Keep Searching!
Wes

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#98861 Tue Jun 13 2006 10:24 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Nice pump Wes! I bet your friend will be as happy as you are. Whats the chance of getting your friend to let you post that photo he has of the station when it was DX? I know I would like to see it.
Bob

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
#98862 Tue Jun 13 2006 11:25 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Bob, I'll see what I can do about borrowing the picture to scan...

Check it out -- the decal is coming off, exposing the fired-on "Custom-Blended" in great shape!

Wes

#98863 Tue Jun 13 2006 11:50 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Looking good Wes. Are you using a hair dryer to loosen up the decal? I used one to get off the old decals on my trimline, then used mineral spirits to take off the old glue. Tried a heat gun but it got too hot and dried the decal out a real pain in my a** to get that part of the decal off. Hope your friend will let you borrow the photo.
Bob

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items
#98864 Wed Jun 14 2006 02:14 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I hadn't been using a hair dryer. I tried it though, after you suggested it, and it took all of 2 minutes to get the whole rest of the decal off! The brittle old vinyl turned soft, and stretched like electrical tape - very nice!

I stripped off the front and back decals, revealing a large painted Sunoco logo.

I got Kenny to come see the pump, and he said it was the middle one of the three that were at his station. He wants a picture of it once I'm done.

On a very cool note, I asked if he might still ahve the key to the pump. He looked around and lo and behold, gave me two tarnished brass keys that fit the pump!

Wes

#98865 Wed Jun 14 2006 03:00 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
wes you sound happier than a pig in a poke!!LOLcongrats cool pump!hope you have room for the next dozen or so!!mick

Looking for gas,oil related clocks,especially neon and spinners .clock repair available. Mick

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved