T
texican Offline OP
OP Offline
T

Conflict is inevitable.....
Combat is optional....
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#99004 Fri Dec 19 2003 07:14 PM
T
texican Offline OP
OP Offline
T
The 2 bad shots of the newspaper clipping is from June 1965, My Dad is the guy on the R leaning on his new Chevy PU. Lots of fond memories of the station and the Pickups, remember riding in the old Ford a lot, he was giving the Buddy L fire truck away with a set of tires, and they were 4 for $80, I have one of the Firetrucks now I bought off Ebay, NIB I paid $275.........
Butch

Combat is optional....
#99005 Fri Dec 19 2003 07:20 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Did you get a set of FREE tires with that ebay purchase?

GREAT STUFF! Butch.....Like the Conoco
sign, others too...As I am a sign collector
also.

HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGES

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
#99006 Fri Dec 19 2003 07:27 PM
T
texican Offline OP
OP Offline
T
THe Hancock sign creates the most interest, and it has a story.....In 1978 my Dad & Mom traded houses with a couple they went to church with, one in town for one in the country. The one in the country had a 15x15 bldg. the PO used for a tinkering shop, and he had an old potbelly wood stove for heat.
The shed was in sad shape and Dad decided to level it, my whole family were at the house one spsring afternoon and dad said to my brother and me, if there was anything in the shed we wanted to get it.
I looked at the object the stove was on, and could barely make out a orange & white border. I move the stove, pried the nails out and the lower side of the sign was as nice as the pic shows now. I mixed some hot soapy water and scrubbed the soot and aash, all the time the family making fun of me.....the side that was up came as clean as the floor side.
The Conoco was one of my Dad's, I also have a huge Conoco, with a cast frame.
The Texaco is my personal favorite, jsut fond of this Texaco version, I have an aunt that goes to a lot of estate sales, I have her programed to watch out for this stuff, she scored this in western Okla, for $125, all the while asking me on the cell during the auction if I was sure that sign was worth this much money........

Butch

Combat is optional....
#99007 Fri Dec 19 2003 07:34 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Cool Hancock sign, nice stuff, you get to enjoy it at work too. Was Hancock sold in Texas??

The giveaway stuff sure isnt given away anymore..LOL.dodogas

The Texaco sign is worth at least 128.00..LOL..dodogas

[This message has been edited by dodogas (edited 12-19-2003).]

#99008 Fri Dec 19 2003 07:35 PM
T
texican Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Moving to the inside shots, I'm sure most of you know the repros from the originals on the counter, but one you probably are not aquainted with is the ARB sign.
I'm very involved in Toyota Land Cruisers, pres of Lone Star Land Cruisers. Anyway ARB is the #1 aftermarket supplier for these, based in Australia, I have several internet friends, one of these guys, Nigel Buxton, sent this to me. It's Porcelain, and because of the origin, no way I would ever part with it....because for my 45th birthday, with my wifes help he showed up at my B.day party, way cool, he was in the states giving lectures (forensic pathologist) and made a trip to Bonham to visit.
Nigel used to have a series of articles oin the web on trips to the Outback, if anyone wants them hit me offline and I'll look them up.
Butch

Combat is optional....
#99009 Fri Dec 19 2003 07:37 PM
T
texican Offline OP
OP Offline
T
The Texaco sign is worth at least 128.00..LOO..dodogas

Is this a US $ offer or Canadian?
LOL

Butch

Combat is optional....
#99010 Fri Dec 19 2003 07:46 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Butch you would love the toy's around here, a few on military axles 2 ft clearance to the diffs, used to mod a lot of rotors for the inboard discs. Then the one guy sold that one, went crazy and built one pretty well ground up. Has rear steering and tilt leveling body. Can run at 90 mph on pavement. In fact he drove to a 4x4 competition in California I think, did real well , but they kept changing things around so he wouldnt win. For example on a ruff rock section he drove over it, the supposed winner winched himself over the section, on the hill-climb they said he went too fast..LOL. declared someone else the winner!!
Another guy here makes all aluminum bodies for them.
Those guys have fun but do crazy stuff like race against snowmobiles..off road!!
...dodogas

#99011 Fri Dec 19 2003 07:47 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome to oldgas.com texican and thanks for sharing pictures of your collection with the rest of us. The Hancock is pretty kewl and thanks for the stories as well/ I like it when people tell stories on this site on how they aquired a certain piece in their collection. Once again welcome and glad to have you. Scott in Kansas City.

Scott Shipers
WANTED: quart picture cans
#99012 Fri Dec 19 2003 07:48 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Butch did your grandma beat the auctioneer with her umbrella when he charged her bidders premium.??...dodogas

#99013 Fri Dec 19 2003 07:51 PM
T
texican Offline OP
OP Offline
T
I have some Canadian Cruiser friends, they always run your flag when they come to the states to events. http://www.getlostproductions.com/page3.html
There are some Canucks on the '04 Land Cruiser calender.
My truck is the one painted like a US flag.
Commonly known as those Crazy Canadians
Butch

Combat is optional....
#99014 Fri Dec 19 2003 07:54 PM
T
texican Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Butch did your grandma beat the auctioneer with her umbrella when he charged her bidders premium.??...dodogas

It's my aunt, not grandma.......I don't know, she only charged me $125 for it

Butch

Combat is optional....
#99015 Fri Dec 19 2003 10:44 PM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
GREAT PHOTOS TEXMEX, I MEAN, UH,, TEXICAN,, WHERE IS THE GAS PUMP?? DO YOU KNOW KEN BRUCE?? HE LIVES IN TEXAS AND IS INTERESTED IN SOUTHWEST PUMPS FROM YOUR AREA .. THANKS FOR POSTING.. T~~~~BONE.

#99016 Sat Dec 20 2003 01:10 AM
T
texican Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Someone warned me there were some that attempted humor here......Southwest was based in Bonham for years, Tokheim bought them and promptly closed all operations here, I have never had an interest in pumps, but this is a very rural area and I know there a bunch of old pumps in the sticks, I'll start prowlin' but know nothing at all other than what I'm picking up here.
Texans were known as Texicans, Texians, or Texans, until we became independent of Mexico, when the congress of the Republic unified the term Texan, hence my username, some on other boards thought I was half Mex. and half Texan
Butch

[This message has been edited by texican (edited 12-20-2003).]

Combat is optional....
#99017 Sat Dec 20 2003 07:41 AM
T
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
T
WERE JUST ALL HAVING FUN HERE, THE BOYS USED TO CALL ME KIKI UNTIL I THREATEND THEM SO BAD ,,DODO WAS EVEN SHAKING IN HIS BOOTS.. L.O.L... ACTUALLY, I THINK KEN IS LOOKING FOR ROYER PUMPS,, I'LL HAVE TO CHECK THE OLD POSTS... ANYWAY,, WHEN DO YOU WANT TO PICK ME UP AT THE AIRPORT?? YOU SAY THERE ARE SOME PUMPS DOWN THERE IN THE STICKS??? I'LL BE DOWN TO HELP YOU HUNT, GATHER AND LOAD ALL OF THEM. GET ALL THE PUMPS YOU CAN BEFORE SOMEONE ELSE DOES, YOU WON'T REGRET IT.... GOOD LUCK.. THANKS AGAIN FOR THE GREAT PHOTOS AND THE STORIES.. T~~BONE_____

#99018 Sat Dec 20 2003 08:05 AM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
All most the same thing. except for the darkened skin and the lanuage. My mom said, it got so bad in Texas durring the depression, then the war that everyone was eating nothing but squirrel tacos, beans tortillias , cornbread. say-abla-ya'll.

#99019 Sat Dec 20 2003 09:45 AM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
Great photos, Butch! Killer story about the sign & you better be nice to your aunt! She sounds like a great gal!!!

#99020 Sat Dec 20 2003 08:21 PM
T
texican Offline OP
OP Offline
T
As you guys get to know me, I love joking around & kidding, can dish it out and take it with the best, does not bother me in the least to be poked fun at being a Texican......as long as I know you are not serious, on another site we can attache the smilies in the text, which helps to convey that fact.
Butch

Combat is optional....
#99021 Sat Dec 20 2003 08:56 PM
Online Cool
You can use smilies here on Shop Talk. The ones available are shown by clicking the "Smilies Legend" link on the form for posting new topics or replies. Too many smilies drives people and gets them . But if a little is good, more is always better, right?

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved