Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#99297 Sat Jun 17 2006 09:58 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Well I got back a week ago, and I've been running ever since. Work, animals, riding lessons and skunks, just to name a few of the recent happenings here. As you may know, I went to California for a few days. We stayed across the street from Knotts Berry Farm, in Buena Park. So my daughter & I walked overe for a day of roller coasters.

Of course, I had to ride the train, which is an actual Colorado Narrow Guage train. Then , we had to run down to the other side of the park to see an old friend.

The next day, and we were off to spend a little time with Dick Bennett.

The triple pump and the twin towers are AWSOME in real life. The pictures just dont do them any justice. Dick was waiting for us out front, with a two bags of California Avacados. Not the little one like you pay serious cash for at the grocery store, but REAL, fresh off the tree, soft, Avacados.... A few minutes later and the girls were off to the beach, so we took off to see the sights of Santa Paula. I saw more of the Bennett collection, and was able to get afew detail shots, of what my Wayne should look like when its done.

The globe tower, and nozzle hook details.

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#99298 Sat Jun 17 2006 10:42 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Super cool! I notice dicks 'victim' pumps in the backgound of one the photos. Those pumps were probably just hanging around minding there own business when...wammo the king pump scalper comes along and takes there top right off. At least it looks like they are under the roof...

------------------
Scott Wright-
Wanted Powerine, Bearcat and Powerlube Items- Lots to trade!

Scott Wright
#99299 Sat Jun 17 2006 11:38 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Under a roof, and in a few sheds, maybe the Proffessor will enlighten us on his collection a bit later. After the first stop, it was off to the California Oil Museum. The museum is in the old office building of Union Oil. Be sure to check them out. http://oilmuseum.net/

As we entered the building, I was instructed to "Clock in" at the old time clock.

There were numerous displays of cans, globes, and even a few pumps. Notice the "Skunk Oil" can.

Check out the detail on this Chevron Decal...

I haven't seen this one before.

[This message has been edited by Thunder II (edited 06-17-2006).]

Anything Chevron
#99300 Sat Jun 17 2006 11:40 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Scott,
There ARE more of them to the left [not pictured].
db

#99301 Sat Jun 17 2006 12:23 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here ya' go Scott. A few more victims....

As we progressed through the museum, we went to the "Rig Room" in the back. Inside was a real, working oil rig.

This thing was massive. As we walked through the door, and a light beam, this thing started up.

The pistons started pumping, the flywheels started turning, the walking beam started walking, and the drill started drilling.

It was amazing.....

There was even a few more pumps in the rig room, so I was able to get a few more detail shots.

Anything Chevron
#99302 Sat Jun 17 2006 05:40 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
So after the "Rig Room" we went upstairs. This area has been restored to it original appearance, with old office equipment, and furnishings.

The paymasters desk.

The switchboard and reception area.

Anything Chevron
#99303 Sun Jun 18 2006 06:02 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Back then, the bookeeper was one of the most important people in the company. As such, he was provided with living quarters in the building.

The kitchen area.

The bedroom area. Check out the truck on the floor.

This little guy was very heavy. I had a hard time picking it up. It looked like a true minature of a real truck. The steering and suspension were made in exact detail. It also looked like there was a "Clock motor" mechanism, to power this thing at one time.

Anything Chevron
#99304 Sun Jun 18 2006 06:48 AM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Looks like you had a GR8 time, Jeff, and glad you got to visit with DB. Thanks for sharing the pics! I love old TRAINS!!
HAGD
Rod

------------------

#99305 Mon Jun 19 2006 07:23 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
There was lots more at the museum. In the back room was a collection of vintage motorcycles.

We even went down into the basement.

This is a 1/2 scale Wayne 60 pump that Dick Bennett made for a display there.

After that it was lunch time. Even after dragging me around town that morning, Dick bought lunch. Then it was back to his place.

[This message has been edited by Thunder II (edited 06-20-2006).]

Anything Chevron
#99306 Mon Jun 19 2006 07:45 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
You just could not see everything that was there at Dick house. Sadly, we had a dinner engagement that night, and had to run back to Orange County. Even though my camera didn't give me good pics, I still have a few more to share.

Check out the can labels, in the frames, in the hall. Maybe we can get some info on these too....

Of course, I had to get a pic of the twin towers. This is no urban legend.... It's true... They really do exist.....

We even got a can lidding demonstration. And my girls even got a small sample can from Dick.

I'd like to publicly thank Dick Bennett for his hospitality, generousity, and a great day. I can see that next time though, I'll need to schedule in more time. Hey, maybe I can send the girls down to San Diego....

[This message has been edited by Thunder II (edited 06-20-2006).]

Anything Chevron

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved