Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#714967 Mon Aug 13 2018 04:33 PM
Petro Enthusiast
OP Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Last week I was in Austin Texas and I visited the Lyndon Johnson Ranch in Stonewall, a little over an hour west of Austin. The Ranch includes the mansion where LBJ would work when away from Washington, and the property has some of his old limousines as well as his "Air Force one-half" plane used to shuttle him and diplomats to the ranch. While wandering around the property I found three old gas pumps, clearly not in working order. They appeared to be pumps used for this Presidential automobile fleet, one for diesel and two for "regular" gasoline. I glanced at the pump plate on the Regular gas pump on the left and I am pretty sure it was a Tokheim 39; however the one on the right had "Tokheim 46H" on the manufacturer's plate. Jack Sim's "gas pump bible" shows a different looking commercial pump for the 46H, while this one looked like an ordinary model 39 to me.

Just curious - was this pump labeled as 46H since it was indeed a commercial pump, as opposed to a retail pump?

LBJ Ranch - Two Tokheim Regular pumps.jpg LBJ Ranch - Two Tokheim Regular pumps #2.jpg LBJ Ranch - Tokheim manufacturers plate 46H.jpg LBJ Ranch - M&S 80 Diesel.jpg
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
ConocoRetiree #715039 Tue Aug 14 2018 09:28 PM
Following along.

Where Liberty Dewells, There Is My County.
ConocoRetiree #715041 Wed Aug 15 2018 12:54 AM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
The first two pump shown are Tokheim 39s, the last pump ("Diesel) is a Martin & Schwartz/Wayne Model 80 pump. At the time these pumps were born, there was no connection between M&S/Wayne and Tokheim so I don't know what the 46H is all about. The one thing that seems strange is that the ID tag is screwed on where most ID tags are riveted on.

Who know what some repair man did 65 years ago.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved