The ones with the fat white border and thin blue line aren’t dated but do have a manufacturer’s mark at the bottom center….in this case “McMath-Axilrod, Dallas”. This mark is sometimes abbreviated to “Mc-AX”. Other pump plates of this same design are marked “Texlite” or “Texlite-Dallas”. These signs were used mostly in the southwestern states, the old marketing territory of Magnolia Petroleum.

The ones with the black border don’t have a manufacturer’s mark or date, but some have the word “gasoline” at the bottom. This style also includes the pump plate referred to as the “dropped-leg” version, the Mobilgas Special with the rear legs covered by the “A” in Mobilgas. These black-bordered signs were used on the west coast, in the old marketing territory of General Petroleum.

Like everything else in life, there aren’t many absolutes. You CAN find old original pump plates that aren’t as described above, like this white-border version with no manufacturer’s mark. However, if the sign is marked “Licensed by Mobil Oil” you can be 100% certain it’s a reproduction!!!

Here’s a look at my “shield wall”……there are a lot of different ones to collect, and quite a few others not shown here that I’d like to add to the collection.

That's it for this installment.....I'm off to Peotone. More to come on Monday. Feel free to overload the system with pictures over the weekend!!!

------------------
Richard Weir
"Pegasus"
Hillsboro, Ohio

Richard Weir
Corinth, Texas