As I mentioned earlier, the first Pegasus trademark / logo image was used by Vacuum Oil Company South Africa in 1911, and the flying horse was white rather than red. Following are pictures of an interesting paper item that features the white Pegasus. It’s a six-page “brochure” that contains sheet music for a song entitled “Pegasus – Pegasus, Every Time”. It’s written in both English and Afrikaans and measures 10” x 12”….so it’s slightly larger than my scanner bed. Shown here are the front and back covers…..

The inside front cover includes this image of a gasoline pump and a square Mobiloil “A” can…….

The can look familiar but not the pump…..it appears to have a clock face……maybe one of you pump guys can tell use something about it. The oval globe is what caught my eye………..I’d guess the letters are white on a red background. I WANT ONE…..I WANT ONE!!!!!

The song is kinda hokey, as you can see from these images…………

This document probably dates from between 1911 and about 1930. Notice the words between the red diamonds on the second image just above……..I’m guessing the meaning of “hooters” in 1920’s South Africa was slightly different than in the U.S. at the end-of-the-century……………but I could be wrong!!!

------------------
Richard Weir
"Pegasus"
Hillsboro, Ohio

Richard Weir
Corinth, Texas