In an effort to kick start this a little bit...Here is Speedway done by RTOIL:
Speedway was the brand name of the United Dividend Corporation. It was started in 1930 by Finis Renfrow and his sons in Canon City, Colorado. He started with 2 stations in Canon City & 1 station in nearby Florence, Colorado. At one time there were 4 Speedway stations in Canon City & 1 in Florence, quite a few for such a small area. Through the 1930's stations were added most every year and reached their highest number just before WWII at about 43. Most of the stations were along Highway 50 in Southern Colorado stretching from Lamar, Colorado to Grand Junction, Colorado. In 1933 one of the Speedway stations in Canon City started staying open 24 hours. I have a letter from Mr. Renfrow to the mayor of Ogden, Utah about expanding Speedway into Utah in 1937, but, nothing ever came of this. As with many smaller stations WWII saw its decline. A Grandson of the owner told me he thought most of the stations were sold to Texaco in 1942 or 1943. By the end of the war there were only about 17 stations, by the late 50's just 2, with the last Speedway station in Canon City closing in the mid 60's. At one point Mr. Renfrow & a partner tried starting up stations with the brand name of Gold State, with at least 1 station in Antonito, Colorado, but, this brandname never caught on and soon disappeared. Mr. Renfrow had company banquets, sponsored a basketball team, entered floats in the town parades, and put out a monthly newsletter sent to all the dealers. I have a picture of a Speedway float with a Red Ripple body Speedway globe set on each corner of the float, If he only knew what they would be worth 1 day. Most of the pumps in the pictures I have seem to be Tokheims 36 & 36B.

At its start Speedway sold Champlin gasoline, I'm not sure how long this partnership lasted. They sold their own Speedway branded oils & greases. Speedway containers that I know to exist are..1 quart..2 gallons..5 gallons...1 pound grease..5 pound grease..most in 2 different styles. early style is dark green can with red lettering...later it was a cream colored can with red & green lettering. I have seen about 4 different globe styles. There are not many signs from Speedway...I have pictures of many of their stations and most of the signs were painted on wood. I have never seen a pump plate in any picture, but, who knows what's out there. As far as I know Speedway put out 3 styles of maps, all before the war. As with other stations, they put out calendars, salt shakers, matchbooks, etc. Besides Speedway oils, they also sold Quaker State & Veedol at various times, I have a Veedol oil sign that is printed on the back, property of United Dividend Corporation. I have included pics of the Speedway items I have, with my best 1 being the large neon sign which hung out by the street. I don't have any of the globes. I found the neon sign here in Canon City after I put an ad in the paper for Speedway items. A man who had just bought the original UCD office in Canon City said there was an old Speedway sign on the third floor & he didn't want it...a lucky find, the Veedol sign was there too. The Speedway nose sign was off Ebay. If you have others I'd like to hear about them. There must have been some confusion at times at whether it was Speedway or Speed-Way...I have a Speedway map with both variations on it, which seems kind of funny. I don't get out to shows like I used to, but I think Speedway stuff is a little hard to find,,,,I put ads in the paper once a year & all the antique dealers here know I'm looking for Speedway stuff, but, finds come slowly.

Scott Wright