During WW II The Japanese actually were lobbing high explosive shells at Richfield and Signal oil fields in Southern CA. No damge was done but none the less the U.S. had shells fired on our homeland. Shells also were fired near Astoria OR. So Signal made it through the war and remained a strong independent. Pre war and depression advertising took on the theme of economy and inexpensive. After the war performance was stressed. The Go Farther theme advertised quality and perfromance. On Aug. 8,1947 Standard oil company took over the marketing outlets of the Signal oil and gas company but Signal kept all the drilling operations and changed there symbol to the half red and half black with the oil derrick in the middle. Standard had the service stations bulk plants advertising symbols but the Signal company was still and independent oil company. Six months later Signal was back in the retail busines and bought out the Craig oil company in southern CA. and opened 17 multi-pump stations. Signal now was concentrating on large stations and not the small neighborhood stations. Confusing , yes it is. This next week I will focus from 1947 until Signal changed and got out of the retail oil busines in late 1964 into 1965.
I have the last three quarts I forgot to post along with a little oiler from my collection. All the quarts are all metal and the Automatic was a symbol used right after the familiar round logo. Anybody got some composite cans to post? Ted