Your right Butch, different sign companys that got the contracts to do sign for different oil companys used different ways of doing things. so you might look at signs made in Canada from 1941 thru 1945 and they are different from what was made here before and after the war. Signal in 1931 when they started their gasoline division, the first door signs with the two red lights did not have grommets. but the later ones with the two red lights did.
The point being, theres guys that go by the grommet only. there are the ones that go by the pointed corners, or rounded ones, the backs . the thickness. we have put two Flying a sign togather from the same era and ones a creamy ones white ,white. ones corners are not as pointy as the other, two different sign companys. the bigger the company the more confuseing there signs are, thats why when a sign comes on that I question I email you or Keith. can't get you most of the time your always in someones barn. or pulled up to their table, ha ha just kidding. we need a good book on signs , not just pictures but information. Seth is doing it now but there are a lot of repos that you can't tell, but hes marking them good. and we need that. and the repo globes , I've said it before and I'll say it agin . the west coast companys never made a 13 1/2 " globe. tidewater was the only one on the west coast in the last years that might have. and we (all of us) have not seen it all yet. Up pops a little ol Micraphone sign from Associated and all the big guys goes nuts. how about the Beacon signs that showed up at Fred's . everybody but one standing around scratching him self looking and one guys steps up , ha ha oh Butch that same guy has 4 more. but hes not as dumb this time. have a nice day guys.