Around 2006, the anniversary of the first drive-in gas station (which was here in St. Louis), I got hold of the St. Louis Dispatch newspaper and they came out and interviewed me. While they explained about the 100th anniversary, the article was a little too much about me, which was not my intent, but it did point out that this old service station stuff was collectible.

You want a project that you can go to the local TV station or local newspaper with? Take a Sunday, get a good camera and go out and take pictures of all the old service stations you can find, and I don't mean all those old Shell stations from the 70s, real old stations. It doesn't matter what they are being used for today, take the picture. Then, go to the local Historical Society or library and see if they have any pictures of the station when it was in use back in 192?. Who else but us are going to preserve the history of old gas stations?

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available