It seems that more and more evidence is evolving that some smaller pump companies were experimenting with versions of the visible pump. The Butler SH-197 on page 114 of my books is a perfect example. Rather than go to the full extent of a large glass cylinder they tried tubes made of glass, that were outside the cabinet. I keep looking at the G&B 66 (the one with the almost straight round cabinet. While not the same as yours, it does have many of the lines your has. Since it appears that G&B didn't make a visible pump until around 1924, there is a possiblility that they experimented with tubes before making the big step to visible.
While Guarantee was selling the hell out of visibles, many companies were sitting back trying to figure which way to go. They were using clock mechanisims as early as 1915 and were probably geared up to continue with them when the visible pump came on the scene.
Tokheim made a couple of visibles around 1920, but then continued to make pumps that had meters, then in 1923 they finally jumped into visibles heavy.
Erie began in business making pumps with meters in 1921, but didn't make a visible pump until 1933.
Bennett, who for almost 10 years was in the grease and oil dispenser business before they even made any type of gas pump and this only came about when SSEC purchased Shotwell. Bennett finally made a their only visible in 1930.
I believe a lot of experimenting was done, and your pump may be one of those. Again, not a "Pre-Visible", it appears to be a visible.
Incidentally, the picture of the Butler pump (mentioned above) was taken at Iowa Gas about 5 years ago. The pump was sold to Kyle Moore for about $250.00 about 10 minutes before I got there.
It even still had the glass tubes and they were about 3' long.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Tue Nov 17 2009 10:34 AM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available