I have kidded several times on several forums that I conduct a Not on the Chamber of Commerce tour of former service stations here in Richmond Virginia . FINALLY , Nicole and Bob took me up on my offer . I bet I surprised them . We had a delightful lunch next door to a Pure Oil Cottage in historic Ginter Park . here are some of the sights :
Built about 1920, this was one of Atlantic Refining company's first attempts at retail when they broke away from the Standard Oil trust in 1911. It's at 17th and East Broad ;

In Highland Park, Richmond's first Streetcar neighborhood , Conoco built this Cottage in the middle 1930's

Atlantic used a Greek Revivial several times in the Washington D C area as well as their home of Phillidelphia pennsylvania . We have three such examples here . This is a suvivor of one of their 1 bay stations.

Directly accross the street, this former Gulf was built about the same time on Lombardy street at Overbrook rd .

This famous station has been photographed several times . It was built as The Harvey system or a Atlantic Super station and accessory store . Around the side , there were two repair bays . Two seperate pump islands graced the area closest to the front . A curved far island graced a place a short distance away .

Nicole , hope ya enjoyed the show ....... Ed Shaver

Last edited by Oldgas; Fri Jun 24 2011 06:11 AM. Reason: name correction as requested