I will attempt to follow in Shawn's Footsteps and put forth a COTM that will share some of my love for Tide Water Oil....

First, before I get ahead of myself... I want to thank Doc... For his splendid work on the Tide Water Billboard banner!

Now... A short background History....

Tide Water Oil, was incorporated as an Oil Company in the City of New York 1887... In approx 1916, Tide Water Oil started selling a single grade of gasoline and a grade of motor oil both named Tydol...

In early 1918, Tide Water "became Big Time"; As the Company purchased the rights and formula to VEEDOL MOTOR OIL....

(I will go into VEEDOL, later)...

With the support of Veedol sales, Tide Water expanded and became known more and more throughout New York and New England ... Around 1936, Standard Oil bought into Tide Water and gained a controlling interest... Through a Company called Mission Corporation.... With the "break up" of Standard Oil... Mission was sold to J.Paul Getty... Getty's ambitions, helped turn Tide Water into one of the greatest Oil Company's in the World...

Last edited by Oldgas; Wed Jan 02 2013 02:54 PM. Reason: put company names in title