Some here may have dealt with Carl Davis from Cleveland, OK. He was 90+ years old and was quite the accumulator in this part of the country. Here's an article concerning Mr. Davis:

http://www.oldcarsweekly.com/blogs/vanderbrink-auctions-blogs/carl-davis-collection

I was going through my notebooks and thought I'd call Carl yesterday when I learned of his passing earlier this month.

Carl had 3 Johnson signs sitting on the side of his house, rescued from a refinery that was right down the road from his shop. When he pointed to to the refinery location, it was nothing but pasture...

The 3 signs were: 1.) a 48" double sided Johnson in the frame. Very distinctive because there is a softball size hit near the center of the sign that had been touched up. Otherwise, very clean. 2.) a 30" Johnson ethyl in a funky curb stand frame, condition 7-8 3.) a 30" tin ROUND Johnson sign that had a center section where you marked the gas in cents. Weird sign, have never seen another. Was faded from being outside but very legible.

I spoke with Mr. Davis' daughter who informed me the signs were there when her father collapsed and had to be taken to the hospital. Approximately 2-3 days later, after his passing, she went back to his house and someone had taken a pick-up load of stuff including the signs. She was understandably upset and heartbroken.

Please be on the look out for any of these signs! In the alternative, if you have bought any of these signs, know they are STOLEN.

Thanks for any and all help.

There's no stopping the Cretins from hopping
You've got to keep it beating for the hopping Cretins