This is an option for lighting your gas globes if you don't want to modify the shelf you are using. I had some "floating" shelves from Lowe's that have a welded inner structure and no visible brackets. I added a 1 x 8 on top of the shelf with modifications to accommodate wiring boxes, lamp sockets and hidden wiring.

The boards are over an inch narrower than the shelf to hide the wire that lays behind it. You'll need for each globe:
A metal "pancake" ceiling wiring box that is only 1/2" or 5/8" tall
A 1/8 pipe thread nipple that is made for household lamps
A strap that screws to the box and is threaded for the nipple
A lamp socket that has a base for the nipple
These are all standard hardware store items. See picture.
A globe ring. I used the polished aluminum ones.

The length of the shelf and spacing of the holes are dependent on your situation and globe sizes. After figuring your spacing, use a sabre saw to cut round holes, using the electrical boxes as a marking guide. I used my circular saw with the blade set at 3/8" to route a trough for the wires to go under the globe ring to the back of the shelf. I flared out the trough to allow the wires to more easily bend at the wall.

The boards can be stained or painted to suit your taste. I painted mine to match the wall to kind of blend in. I bought a new black extension cord with a nice molded plug instead of making up wiring. I cut the cord at each globe box to make the connections. You should have a working knowledge of wiring to hook these up.

The globe rings needed to be redrilled and countersunk to screw them to the board because the wiring box was about as wide as the original factory holes.

I experimented with various lengths of the lamp pipe nipple to set the bulb higher or lower for different sizes and design globes. There is no one optimum length that works for every globe. LED bulbs tend to "project" light straight up more than incandescent, so they need a built in diffuser and can sit lower in the globe.

I experimented with bulbs and found that an LED bulb with a clear diffuser above the LED element worked very well. A 25 watt equivalent LED puts out 240 lumens, runs at only 4.5 watts and does not get hot.

shelfdone.jpg
The finished shelf board add-on. Note the LED bulb and the wiring running behind the board.

shelfparts.jpg
The parts you need.

shelfcuthole.jpg
Cutting the hole below each globe for the pancake ceiling box.

shelfbeforewire.jpg
Electrical box sitting in the hole. Note the routed trough for the wiring to exit the globe and run along the back of the board.

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator