My feelings have always been, if you own 10-20 oil cans, two petro ashtrays, a few petro glasses, one or two pumps, etc. you do not have a collection, you have an accumulation.

Back around 2000 when everyone was just discovering handy oilers, I had over 800 of them, and 600 different ones, this was at that time a collection.

So, what am I trying to say, rather than tell Bob about the one game you have, offer to sell it to him. Let him be the historian for petro related games.

While most of us have accumulations, I decided to have the most gas pump/service station related literature. I passed up buying games, ashtrays, I wanted literature.

So, again what am I trying to say, pick some little nitch related to this hobby, go after everything you can find about it, become the expert about that, in the mean time if you find something like a game, offer it to the person who wants to be the expert on that subject, he just might want to write a book about them.

I remember having a large Priority box filled with "smalls" that I know I would never sell, so I sent them to Bob, the expert on "smalls." We need to do more of this.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Mon May 04 2015 11:38 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available