[url=www.ebay.com/itm/Original-Narrow-Body-Gasoline-Gas-Pump-Globe-screw-Base-/192051653589?hash=item2cb72babd5:g:igQAAOSwOtdYTwLQ]globe on ebay [/url]

I see folks selling these on ebay as repro's. and originals too.
was told this type with the holes on the face area.. where the lenses would go..is an aftermarket. ( am tending to believe my source is correct )
What purpose are the holes for ?
Were there older ones that had these holes way back when too ? If so...how could you tell the diff. between an original and an aftermarket like this?