Originally Posted By RandyM
Actually, when you really think about it you have to ask the question, "Why do I collect gas pumps?" For me, it is because they are really cool works of art and for me, that work of art doesn't need the internal mechanism to make it any more pretty to look at. Gas pumps aren't collected to operate like soda machines and cars, they are different. Those they leave the pumps in are never pumping anything ever. I don't collect things as investments, I collect them because I really like them because they are cool. Same with signs, globes, and cars. I am a collector not investor. I would just love the day when the bottom would fall out on all this stuff and then I can have more of it. Just my 2 cents on the subject.

...well, I'm a collector, too, and an historian...IMO, the preservation of history - with a focus on historical accuracy - takes precedent over 'pretty'...that goes double for whimsical paint schemes...our hobby would do better in the long term to attract more historians; we've an overabundance of 'investors' as it is, and they're considerably more fickle than history buffs...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...