Joe,

If you had taken the time to read the patent you suggested above, you will find that it is not a patent for the pump, it is a patent for a improvement in the door of any pump. There is no mention of the Bowser Pump Company in the patent application and almost all of Bowser patents were issued to A.A. Bowser of the Bowser Pump Co.

Also, you need to learn a little about reading patents. Everyone is interested in when was the patent issued. It takes years to get a patent issued. Take a good look at the patent, you will notice that the patent was applied for on July 9, 1911. The application date is more important than the issue date.

Ok, my book, it was written in 2008 and I am sure there are many mistakes because I can either make the mistake in typing, but most are from estimating things such as dates. Presently I cannot find any information as to why I picked the 1910 date, but I did find that in 1911 Bowser made a special painted “Red Sentry” for stations on the Lincoln Highway and this pump was the first pump to be called the "Red Sentry."

Back to gas pumps. First, very few gas pump companies bothered to even submit an application for a patent for a gas pump, they just made them. This was true even up into the 1950s. I have never found a suit where a pump company was sued for patent infringement.
Next, improvement were made in pumps all the time, sometimes to make them better, some to make them cheaper to make. The pump companies didn't bother to apply for a patent for these changes and they didn't bother to put this information in their sales literature. Also, many times the patent, if there was one, did not match what the final product even looked like.
Also, you make mention of some decals, I don't sell decals and I don't repair computers. I sell literature, while I have given away literature I have never given it away to anyone who demanded it.

Jack Sim

Last edited by Jack Sim; Thu Dec 21 2017 08:48 PM.

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available