Even before December 7, 1941 this country was building war material, no one doubted we were going to war soon. Also, we were supplying war material to Britain and Russia. When the war really started this country needs raw material to make tanks, airplanes, etc. The war department called on the gas pump industry to promote the scraping of old gas pumps. What they did first was to compile a list of gas pump companies that were still in business and they asked these companies to list the pump model numbers and when they were made. The government suggested that pumps that were of a certain age be scrapped for the war effort. Three editions were prepared, the last one even extended into the 1950s, because again we were making war material for the Korean War.

In buying all the service station literature that I have, I do have original copies of all three Blue Books.

Many companies sold pumps in Europe, some even had either factories or assembly plants.

You might be surprised to know that in Australia what we collect and call gas pumps are referred to as "Bowsers." My assumption is that when the first pump was installed someone looked at the face plate and said that is a "Bowser." No matter who made the pumps, they are Bowsers.

Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available