Jack,

It seems this happens to you frequently these days, so I’ll throw my two cents in for perspective.

I can understand why someone would seek your opinion as you are understandably held in very high regard with collectors around the world for the research you’ve done, people you’ve helped and books you’ve written. Being around this site for only a couple years (and lurking around the outskirts for some time before joining), yours was one of the first “household names” I came to hear on a regular basis, and for good reason. I think that this type of attention (unwanted or otherwise) unfortunately comes with the territory when being a “celebrity” (if you can allow me to use that word, for I have no better metaphor) in whatever niche someone pours their heart and time into. Be it your authors and writers, scientists and researchers, athletes and coaches, or whatever position you can imagine where someone effectively masters their field, people will always seek that individual’s advice at the cheapest cost for their own gain.

Now, being done playing that bit of devil’s advocate, I would say you are ABSOLUTELY entitled to tell anyone who asks for advice (ecspecially when nothing, not even first dibs, is offered in return) to either bug off, pick up one of your books or do the research and leg work themselves. Frankly, I think you have afforded that individual a kinder response than most would. I am sure that you have put decades of blood, sweat, tears and money into your research and love for this hobby, and I believe you should be afforded the respect you are owed. In my opinion, it is in really bad taste the way these people reach out to you with a feeling of entitlement to the knowledge you have spent a lifetime acquiring.

In short, they are the bad guys, not you.

Looking for Michelin items + NJ oil company related items (Mohawk, Guardian, Whiz, etc) + animal-related petroliana + Gargoyle/Shell/Sinclair items