Does it seem to anyone else that interest in the hobby is maybe slipping a little, especially among some of the older collectors? I have been collecting for around 25 years personally so I might qualify for that category. I still buy whenever I find a decent deal which has admittedly gotten much harder, especially these days where the tv shows has brought guys out of the woodwork that are only interested in making a quick buck. I also sell, and have done so successfully on this website. At this stage of my collecting I have two choices; quit buying or continue to buy when opportunity presents itself, but take something off the wall and sell it when I do. I enjoy the hunt. I enjoy wheeling and dealing. It's all part of this hobby or most any hobby for that matter.
The thing that bothers me at least here of late is when I run across something that I don't know about, and post a question here regarding value, rarity or whether real or fake, I either get no answer or a smart*** answer. I fail to understand this and can only surmise that because I post things on here for sale I have been pegged a "picker" and basically get the silent treatment. I hope I'm wrong about that because nothing could be farther from the truth. Most of us in the hobby are to some degree a "picker". How many collectors here have not at one time or another made great finds, purchased items at good prices and sold something for a profit along the way? Don't get me wrong, I don't support the individual that is out there trying to shaft some old-timer by buying his valuable pieces for nothing and then trying to gouge buyers by attempting to flip for a fabulous profit. That behavior will be repaid in spades at some point. I believe in Karma. If I'm asking a question about value because I'm not sure what to ask for the item when/if I sell it so what? It might be something I bought in 1995 for $50 and I simply don't know what I should ask for it today. If someone is interested in the piece, what's stopping them from sending a PM and asking me about it? I make every attempt to be fair when I sell and the fact is there is not one single piece in my collection that I wouldn't sell for fair market value. At the end of the day it's just stuff and people are more important.
If somebody, regardless of who they are asks a question about value, rarity, or whatever, and if I have the answer, I'm going to give it to them happily without expecting anything in return. Do unto others as you would like done unto you. Like I said, I've dealt with numerous great folks on here, made some new friends and I visit the site daily. I hope the hobby and this website stays strong regardless of the changes taking place within the hobby.