Not sure if your familiar with powder coating, but it is difficult to match powder colors, it is not like paint. Most powder coating companies have a color pallet you can pick from, but they may not match. The company I use for frames offers about 75 colors, but won’t do matching. You can have certain powder companies do it, but it is usually very expensive.

Here is a quote from a company on-line:

“Unlike paint, the chemistry with powder is very complex, which sometimes does not allow for subtle changes in tone or shade. We offer no guarantee of exact matches.”

One other thing is it is an electric process which heats the metal. If you use any filler it may melt away and any subtleties in the metal such as scratches will show through.

I use powder on my frames, but if your doing the panels, you may have way better luck with paint, wether it be base/clear or enamel. You can match it and it’ll be smooth.

If it’s a national 38, it was originally porcelain or paint from the factory. If it’s porcelain that is a completely different animal from powder.

Maybe you already know all this, but just trying to help if you didn’t.

This is my opinion only. Good luck,
Steve

Last edited by Speedracer; Thu Mar 01 2018 05:59 AM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)