Jim, thanks for posting this article. It brings back a lot of good memories. I’ll never forget the day I received a call from Dr. Mildred Caudel to help with this project. It was great to see the support of the Athenians, that stood up to fight to save history and heritage of Athens Alabama.

After doing research at the Limestone County archives, we found out that this station was a prairie style design associated with Frank Lloyd Wright. For several years, this Gulf station sat abandoned, broken windows and decaying woodwork threatened demolition by neglect. With the help of the mayor’s office, preservation commission, and citizens of the community, these projects can make the dream a reality. To those who supported and invested the “SWEAT EQUITY “ in this endeavor, we owe great appreciation and gratitude.

I found these photos when the station was first constructed and when the cafe was added in the same architectural style. Jim, if I remember right, didn’t you put this in a calendar but I’m not sure how to find it. Help!

Thanks, Larry

561D3C35-D0BA-48F0-A0E2-5C9138DD939A.jpeg 682CC315-AEA0-4596-AB1F-E6FD1343C13A.jpeg