...I just got a couple of plywood advertising signs that were originally used on a large highway sign/billboard, circa the late 1950s-mid 1960s...I'm guessing the plywood is some sort of marine plywood (thin but very rigid), faced with a laminate on two sides: one side, some sort of Scotchlite reflective sheeting; the other side, a solid color...

...90% of the sign edges are fine, but there is rot along one edge on both sections...it appears to be where the sign made contact with the floor/ground during storage...I'm not interested in trying to 'restore' the sign, but I want to stabilize what's there, so I'm not chipping large pieces of Scotchlite off the edge 😕...the laminate is solid on the face, but very brittle on the edge...basically, some of the plywood has been hollowed out along the edge, with some soft wood remaining as well...

...a Google search of 'restoration of rotted plywood' revealed what might be just what the doctor ordered: a product called CPES (Clear Penetrating Epoxy Sealer)...looks like a lot of boat guys swear by the stuff, for fixing plywood and wood trim on boats...apparently it's used on window sills on old houses...anyone here have experience with the product? Mainly concerned if it works - or might work too well, what effect it would have on the laminated surfaces, if any, etc...

...can't post pics until tomorrow - but I'm guessing most of us have seen plywood where one edge has rot...figured I'd check here before I bought/tried anything...any wisdom would be appreciated...thanks!

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...