Jim, I found that the paint cannot be removed with Laquer, which I kind of thought it might not, based on a reply above. I have a sandblaster & I also have a Paasche Air Eraser/ glass etcher. I don't know which substrate I would use in the big sandblaster, but the etcher has a 6 oz bottle of pumice, plus a 2 pound jar of 220 grit white aluminum oxide. Would I just etch the whole globe, also cleaning off the old paint in the process, then clean it & mask what needs painted? The glass is all smooth both where it was painted & where it was not, it was not etched before. Or mask (& etch off the paint) only the area to be painted? I am sorry to ask all of these questions, I feel almost foolish to have to ask but I have not used my etcher for a long time, & this whole thing is new to me. I want to make sure it is done properly. I have decided to mask it off first with striping tape, then fill in with transfer tape. I am not experienced enough with rubber mask to try it, I think. I have red One Shot sign painter's paint to use, I am supposing adding hardener would be a good idea? Thank you very much to anyone who can help me. I am hoping to start them tomorrow.