I would not etch the whole globe, if it will dull the glossy finish. I would only etch the areas that get painted.

You could also go out and find an original red crown that would already be etched. These globes are common and not too expensive.

Like I mentioned above, this was probably originally a white crown globe, if it is smooth and glossy under the paint. Maybe the customer would be happy with it in its original state, rather than altered into a red crown. Maybe he doesn’t know that it was never a red crown.

Are you sure that globe isn’t etched where the paint was? It’s very subtle. When I zoom in on your picture it almost looks dull and yellowed where the paint would have been. And that sure looks like original paint on there.

Does anyone know if the factory ever painted these globes without etching??? (I guess that’d be tough to prove, as I’m sure some slipped through the cracks, or if they had to rush production). I have 3 or 4 of these globes. I will check all mine when I get home and let you know.

Just my opinion though. Do as you wish.

Last edited by Speedracer; Wed Sep 11 2019 01:20 AM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)