to Stephenwarren and others -I dont know what roads you traveled or for that matter what part of the country -but speaking for the Texaco Rest Room Program it was anything but bogus.
I was employed by Texaco during the period when the pledge signs were introduced and I knew Paul Hicks(his signature on pledge sign),was in his company numerous times as a salesman and this
program was a serious program and anyone who did not take it seriously did so at their peril -I'm speaking of sales personnel. During this period, there were sales people driving white cars whose assignment
was strictly checking rest rooms on major roadways --they pulled signs where rest rooms were not maintained and I can tell you from experience there was a lot of grief when this happened in ones sales assignment
Sure there were rest rooms with cinder blocks -bricks and whatever affixed to the rest room keys -but I'm certain the station did not have the pledge sign of the green/white large RRR sign or the later tan one
Many dealers questioned the benefit -Many were mechanics whose could care less about the public and the appreciation for clean rest rooms. It was an interesting period of time, but I can assure you it was not a bogus program -at least not with Texaco Inc.
DSFoster