I’ve never owned a 996, but I’ve had a few 904 and 906’s. If you want to put a globe on it, and that piece is secure in the top, just leave it there. If you want a globe, all you really need is a hole big enough for a 1/2” conduit pipe (maybe 3/4” dia hole). Then put your globe mounting ring on and drill a few holes to secure the ring.

The second obstacle you will have to tackle is what to put the conduit pipe into. Does the existing electrical manifold have a spot drilled and threaded for it? If not, you may want to just put a 1/2” diameter 5” long conduit pipe through a hole in the top and then put a nut on the threads on either side of the existing top to stabilize it. Then throw a socket on the pipe and a globe ring on the top with a couple bolts.

Like I said, I’ve never owned one with a top like that. All my 900 series already had globes engineered into them.

This is just my thought in engineering something if you want a globe on it. I hope it makes sense.

Whatever you do I would not take that out. It looks to be way too big of a hole. Too big for the bolt pattern in a globe mounting ring.

Maybe someone else will chime in with their thoughts.

-Steve

Last edited by Speedracer; Wed Feb 05 2020 04:13 AM.

-Steve B. (WTB: 48" Flying A button, 48" black/org Phillips 66, White Star, and Chevrolet Signs. Also looking for a Wayne 866. Send a PM. Thanks.)