I am going to tell a not so great picking story to shake it up a little. In 2004/2005, I was looking on ebay and a guy had a Cessna neon for sale. I called in and he said come on out and see what I have got because I have tons of stuff including an entire airplane hanger full of signs, cans, and other stuff. I am on the plane the next day to LA. I drive a little over an hour and arrive at the airplane hanger. The guy said, I'll be at the airport restaurant. It was a small private plane airport. I go over and walk in to meet the guy. I follow him to the hanger and buy $33K worth of signs, oil cans, etc. including the Cessna Neon (pictured). I didn't take a lot of pictures but have a few. Here is where the story goes a little sad. As we were walking though the hanger, offices, etc. he informs me this all used to belong to Steve McQueen and he was his best friend. We walk in to the small room and on the floor was a pile of sketches and an old box surrounded by dead crickets. He says "Do you want any of the Von Dutch stuff". I said, "I know that guy was famous but really don't collect that paper stuff nor am I a hot rod guy". He says that he and Steve were good friends and all of this came to me that way. I said "No, not for me". That was one of the worst decisions of my junking career!! That box was his painting box and the sketches are part of the auction link ( a year or two later) that I will attach to this page. The saying goes this way; "I stepped over the Dollar (or two) to pick up the penny". Notice the price of the paint box and all the sketches. Man, I wished I would have bought the old box.... He didn't even care about any of it. I went back to see him a few years later and talk to him from time to time. We joked about the Von Dutch ***** (painting below) and he said he couldn't believe what it brought. He was a great, great guy...... I took a few pictures below with me and my buddy in his Hupmobile taking a cruise around the airport on my second visit a few years later. I am in the back seat. Kinda fun memories..... LOL

https://rmsothebys.com/en/home/lots/bc06

[Linked Image from i836.photobucket.com]

Last edited by coltex; Fri Apr 24 2020 09:31 PM.