Originally Posted by Re’ Schlitt
Originally Posted by pigIRON63
In order for clear coat to adhere, the surface should be sanded and prepped. If not prepped right, it will peel. Sanding and prepping will cause you to lose some of the desired effect.

I have used acetone and BOILED Linseed Oil in the past, with good results. It leaves a semi-gloss sheen. 50% Acetone,50% BOILED Linseed Oil. Do NOT use regular Linseed Oil. It will take a month to dry.
Simply take the Acetone and BOILED Linseed Oil and mix half and half. Wipe on with a rag or brush, let it sit for 20 or 25 minutes,then wipe it lightly with another rag to remove the excess product. Let it dry for 12 to 24 hours, depending on the temp.

Before and after

What if any surface prep is necessary for the linseed oil treatment? I noticed your sign has some white, possibly chalky areas that aren’t there after the linseed oil is applied.

Asking because the paint on my pump has quite a bit of white chalkiness in areas, and some rust stains I’d like to remove.

Re’ S

I just wash it with Dawn. The sign was coated to protect the white from rubbing off. I did not wash it with Dawn, I used a rag with Windex to wipe between the letters, for fear of them rubbing off. When I coated it, I blotted it off with a rag rather than wipe it.

If you want to remove the chalk and rust stain, I reccomend cleaning it with CLR or Purple Power, and a soft brush. You may have to try it a couple times depending on the stubbornness of the stains.