Some other changes within Marathon Oil.

After the USS (now USX) buy out, Marathon Oil devided itself into several subsidiaries in 1982.

Marathon Oil Company was kept as the name for upstream (Crude) operations and the "Parent" company.

Marathon Petroleum Company was used for Downstream, Refining, Sales and Distribution.

Marathon Pipeline Company was the name for Pipeline operations.

Here is a Caracter "Maxi" that was used for promo purposes during that time.

In 1989 The company made changes again and put Marathon Petroleum Company back under the Marathon Oil name. Marathon Pipeline Company kept it's name.
My understanding is this was all due to changes in Tax Laws.

In 1999 a Joint Venture with Ashland formed Marathon Ashland Petroleum LLC. This included just downstream operations and Pipeline.

In 2002 Marathon Oil Company bought themselves from USX and renamed the "Parent" Company Marathon Oil Corporation.

In 2005 Marathon Oil Corporation bought out the Ashland portion of the Joint Venture and renamed MAP the Downstream company, Marathon Petroleum Company LLC.

Here is a photo from my colletion of a Marathon Transport in about 1930 when Transcontinental used the Marathon name.

I am always looking for more Marathon truck photos to add to my collection. I'll post a few more later.
Chuck