Willy welcome to the site, nice looking pump that should give you years of trouble(I mean pleasure)lol. It does depend on if the pump is shown indoors or out, but the problem with rust is that it keeps growing unless treated no matter inside or out. Using scotchbrite is a good first step, but waxing the item without killing the rust is like painting over rust. Sooner than later the metal is gone. I'm sure everyone has either had or known someone who had a nice looking older car that showed a little bubble or two around the rear window.(My mom's '63 Impala, my '65 'Stang) Cleaned and waxed the car religiously and then found the cancer. Rust is cancer! It eats away at the metal and unless treated it just keeps eating. Muric acid will help wound the beast, naval jelly also works and yes having the item inside slows down the cancer but doesn't make it go away. There are a number of items for sale that works on rust, even a paint that will not allow oxygen to get to the metal, so no new iron oxide(commonly know as rust). But have never found a way to kill rust without attacking it, either by blasting or wire brushing. Then immediately spraying with a primer/sealer, not just a primer. Primer is porous and doesn't seal the metal from 02 nor moisture. I live near the ocean and right on top of the Columbia River and it is funny to see how many people who live here work on a cars sheetmetal and then spray primer over the spot. Then drive the car for days, weeks, months even longer without painting the vehicle. One day out in the weather and rust WILL start to develop and goes from there. So stop the rust before waxing. Just my suggestion.
Bob

Looking for Tide Water/ Tide Water-Associated/ Tidewater items