Oldgas.com Home   Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Active Threads | Active Posts | Unanswered Today | Since Yesterday | This Week
Showcase and Stories, Petroliana Jump to new posts
Re: Great Old Pics advertologist 4 hours ago
d-x sta. .. ... cool
10,058 5,920,455 Read More
Re: Rust-Oleum Restoration Mike618b 12 hours ago
With the door brighten up, I can install the window. I chose acrylic for this. I believe it was acrylic originally. I have always avoided glass on these pumps because I feel the door is too flexible, and could stress and brake glass easily. This is just my theory, please feel free to disagree. I could have used the rubber that I used on the Ad glass, but here I'm using another option. This is double sided tape used to hold trim and emblems on modern cars. I got this at an auto body supply shop. If you've never seen or used this stuff, let me tell you it is CRAZY strong. I have bent fenders and hoods trying to pull emblems off of cars in the junkyard that were held on by this same material. I had considered using this to hold the ad glass in, but used rubber there. I peeled the tape off the roll and put it on the inner flange of the door. Then I peeled the backer off, and just stuck the acrylic in place. Just like that, done.
109 3,283 Read More
With the fit good, I got out the polishing wheel and compound. This stainless is super hard, and it is super hard to polish. I'm getting it to brighten up though.
109 3,283 Read More
Ok, back at it. With the hinge attached, I can test fit it back on the pump. The alignment is good. There really isn't a good way to adjust the alignment on these doors. You have to physically bend the metal until the alignment is where you want it. Again, good's worst enemy is better in this situation.
109 3,283 Read More
Welcome New Members Jump to new posts
Re: Howdy from Arizona advertologist 13 hours ago
welcome aboard .. ... cool
3 35 Read More
General Petroliana Discussion Jump to new posts
Re: Sinclair Glass Insert Help T-way 13 hours ago
Fired ad glass panels take as much work and time to make as producing lenses.

Most people aren't going to go to the time and expense to make reproduction ad glass.

Especially when there are over a dozen different sizes that were used over time.

In the almost 20 years I've been making reproduction/fantasy globe lenses, I've only had 2 customers willing to go to that expense.

So IMHO any add glass panels you are likely find 'in the wild' are originals.

Later . . .

Jim
4 313 Read More
Re: Sinclair coltex 13 hours ago
The Humble is a later sign, and they had different plants/stamps. Yours is Tulsa, the Sinclair is Chicago
7 437 Read More
Re: Howdy from Arizona SandPCollector 13 hours ago
Welcome to Oldgas.
3 35 Read More
Re: Howdy from Arizona Tankar 13 hours ago
Welcome
3 35 Read More
Howdy from Arizona JDH Yesterday at 11:48 PM
Well, this sure became an interesting place to end up while surfing a few months back. While I don't actively collect Petroliana, I do enjoy its appeal. Since I already have a substantial collection of cars, and the mountains of associated junk that comes with them, I suppose that is why I don't collect the supporting display items such as pumps and signs etc. But vintage cars seem to merge well with this interest, so here I am. I'll simply live vicariously through you guys adventures while I'm rebuilding carburetors or replacing transmissions or whatever mindless mechanical activity has demanded my attention for the day. Besides...aren't these forums how we conveniently procrastinate when we can't figure out where we left our coffee cup or when it's still too damn cold to go down to the shop and putter?

Anyhow, I'm sure I will have some questions or comments in the future. I do have some old gas pumps that could use some attention, so if I ever get around to those maybe you guys can aim me as to where I find small parts etc.

-JDH
3 35 Read More
Want to Buy Petroliana Jump to new posts
Re: WTB A38 faceplates/add glass trim dan64 Yesterday at 11:47 PM
maybe some more
6 255 Read More
Re: WTB A38 faceplates/add glass trim dan64 Yesterday at 11:46 PM
have a faceplate
6 255 Read More
Re: Working on a Junkyard Tankar Yesterday at 09:50 PM
That's cool looking. Alot of patients
2 111 Read More
Re: Working on a Junkyard buzzy56 Yesterday at 07:27 PM
Wow love the detail ! It look’s like a fun but extremely tedious project . Well done .
2 111 Read More
Working on a Junkyard Oldgas Yesterday at 07:03 PM
I've started building a 1/24 scale junkyard based loosely on Old Car City in Northwest Georgia. I'm well along on the scratch-built barn and base. Just getting started on making some cars appear rusted or "barn-find" condition.
While looking for junkyard pieces, I came across a 3D printed 1/24 scale oil bottle rack. The second photo is the oil bottle rack painted and sign added now in my gas station / body shop scale diorama. It's under the window, next to the tire.

Link to an Instagram short video of my gas station / body shop diorama:
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CmMrOGttzCX/?igshid=YmMyMTA2M2Y=
2 111 Read More
Re: Sweet Ethyl ! advertologist Yesterday at 06:00 PM
your headed in the right direction - looking good .. ... cool
1 104 Read More
Sweet Ethyl ! gasmelincelr Yesterday at 05:41 PM
My old SSE 76 is one step closer to being done. The NOS ad glass waited 80+ years to get installed, and today was the day. They look great, and the best part is that they were given to me by a friend. I can’t finish painting the rest of the pump until it warms up in a few months so that’s all for now.
1 104 Read More
Re: Sinclair Stephenwarren30 Yesterday at 04:43 PM
I have a Humble pump plate produced from Burdick Tulsa. They had either more than one manufacturing site or possibly a couple of home offices. 👍
7 437 Read More
Re: Sinclair Glass Insert Help Paul Bell Yesterday at 04:40 PM
I reference that book all the time, the ad glasses are in the back...
4 313 Read More
Re: Sinclair Glass Insert Help Stephenwarren30 Yesterday at 04:34 PM
Tommy…there is a good reference book that includes a large section on ad glasses.
4 313 Read More
Re: Prices from the past Stephenwarren30 Yesterday at 04:20 PM
Also… some of the reference guide books have prices. Looking at those you can really see how prices have gone up!
3 263 Read More
Re: Complete Tokheim 39 glass manifold with glass and Gbolson5 Yesterday at 02:06 PM
Sorry Tom, just now saw this, just picked one up over the weekend, but I do appreciate it. Just went by your house yesterday. My wife has a booth in Knightstown.
2 157 Read More

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2021 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved