Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#3780 Sat Oct 21 2006 08:20 PM
Jarvis Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
This is my opinion here but I think to help get younger guys in the hobby people 30 and younger should get in the gas shows for free. I read where an Antique market in Nashville is going to try to get the next generation involved.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#3781 Sat Oct 21 2006 08:24 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Darn - I am just too old at 32! lol

But I will be 52 when I get these 19 unrestored pumps finished! I only get about 3 done a year... but I buy about 6 a year.

Travis E. Towle
Topeka, Kansas

785-357-1004

#3782 Sat Oct 21 2006 08:47 PM
Jarvis Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Travis, I am 35 and i to am to old also. LOL

I think wives should get in free also... charging them is stupid. promotors are lossing to ebay as it is. I here more collectors saying "i can put this on ebay and sell it for this." I would think a promoter would want to get the most people he can to a show. I know it's differant when your on this side of the fence but i am looking at this from a public's side not as a promotor.

#3783 Sat Oct 21 2006 08:51 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Yea, the wife charging stuff is BAD - that is why I never get to go - heck she does not even what to go to the home shows anymore becuase they charge her & she does not really want to be there in the first place if you know what I mean? So I never go to the home shows anymore either. So they loose... I just do not go alone...

Travis E. Towle
Topeka, Kansas

785-357-1004

#3784 Sat Oct 21 2006 08:53 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don't think the Promoters will go for that or this:
Maybe sellers over 70 should get FREE selling spaces ! Incentive for more of them to get rid of stuff. LOL
BUT, I think buyers wives should be admitted FREE. They CONTROL the MONEY in most households !
db

MOST shows out here charge for PARKING & an ENTRANCE FEE PER HEAD.

That explaines why some of us have BIG HEADS, it's CHEAPER than 2 HEADS ! LOL

[This message has been edited by Dick Bennett (edited 10-21-2006).]

#3785 Sat Oct 21 2006 09:03 PM
S
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
S
JJ...I agree the spouse/a child for free...but I don't think that waiving the admission for the under 30 set would instantly create interest in that age bracket. If you have even a TINY interest in oil 'n gas memorabilia, admission to a show isn't going to keep you away IMO. If you don't have an interest, you won't go even if it's free. I mean, if there were an action figure show in my town and I read the admission was waived because I'm 28, I still wouldn't go.

#3786 Sat Oct 21 2006 10:37 PM
J
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
J
Years ago when I was just into old cars, I always said you don't go to a auto parts swap meet looking to pick up women, because everyone of them there was dragged there by their husband or boyfriend. So, yes I agree, wives and girlfriends should be admitted free.
Jack Sim

Author, 1st & 2nd editions of Gas Pump ID book, 3rd edition is now available at www.gaspumpbible.com
Air Meter ID book also available
#3787 Sun Oct 22 2006 05:59 AM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Two words...IOWA GAS!

#3788 Sun Oct 22 2006 11:38 AM
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
How bout the promoters get a little more realisitic and start the shows on Saturday am and not allow any sale transactions prior. Starting a show on Thursday or Friday eliminates guys like me that have to work. Makes no sense to me to waste time & fuel when all the good deals are gone before I even arrive. This crowd is getting younger and the promoters need to change their ways.....
It's not about $$ or I woulndn't be a collector, meaning we all have disposable income anyway but spouses and children should be free.

[This message has been edited by Blastmaster (edited 10-22-2006).]

Rick H, Sacramento Ca.
#3789 Sun Oct 22 2006 11:45 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I agree with Chris (Rarin to Go) IOWA GAS no admission!

Larry

In memory of DB 9/12/49 - 8/28/14
#3790 Sun Oct 22 2006 12:48 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
Nothing against any show or promoter, you do what you want...I'll decide to go or not if I feel its worth going to. What the heck is an extra 20-50 bucks one way or the other if I'm already committed to much more in expenses.

When I bring my wife I'm much happier, she's the one who tells me to spend the extra, extra on a nice piece when it means sacrificing the budget or something else for awhile. I may be the exception, not the rule in this comment. Maybe she just wants to go home and that's the fasted way to get it accomplished, or truely knows she can sell a 9 item at a profit easier than a 5? LOL

Where do all the comments come from with this next generation of collectors, especially under 30. If they exist in any numbers I have not seen them bidding against me at any auctions or selling or buying at shows...that includes car shows. I know they are out there but not in the numbers we would like to see. I can only think of two "younger" collectors that I sometimes see with 2k to blow...At most shows I have attended, I'm one of the "younger" looking guys there. I'm 38. The next generation of collectors that I can see will be my kids, inheriting if I don't have to sell off for college or such. If they continue they will just be joining the existing young crowd not going to shows, but doing it over internet in some fashion.

When is the last time any "younger" Oldgas member took off from work on a thursday or a friday to attend a petro auction or show more than 150 miles from home? I'd like to know, go ahead and post it.

my 2c,
Kim

(Oldgas has been dead lately, maybe a good blowout will get some action.)

------------------

Wanted
*SuperAmerica SA, Holiday or Erickson
*Loxtercamp, Greenwald Service, Greenwald Standard Oil.
*Grey Crown Globe, Standard Oil Signs, Posters
#3791 Sun Oct 22 2006 03:09 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
PRIORITIES...
Do you take time off to go
to GRADUATIONS,
to WEDDINGS,
to FUNERALS [other than FAMILY MEMBERS]
FISHING,
GOLF, etc.
On a weekday ?
PRIORITIES ! For ME, it's a VACATION.
db

EDIT to include...[other than FAMILY MEMBERS]

[This message has been edited by Dick Bennett (edited 10-22-2006).]

#3792 Sun Oct 22 2006 03:30 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
The cost of admission to a show is the least expensive part of going to a show. I don't see admission cost as being a big deal unless you're talking about early buyers fees.
Most show promoters will let wives and kids in free if you ask them about it before hand.
As for the under 30 crowd. I don't see it either. I can only think of a few people that young in the hobby.....and they are in it because their dad's are in the hobby.
There are a lot of 30 something guys in the hobby. Most 30 and 40 something year olds still have to work. It can be tough to get off work for a weekday show. Its even worse to have to take off Wednesday and Thursday for a Friday/Saturday show, but thats what you have to do because most dealers are long gone by mid morning on Friday of a Fri/Sat show. The shows and big auctions are geared towards the older crowd. They are the ones that have more disposable income so they are the ones that most show promoters cater to.

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#3793 Sun Oct 22 2006 03:47 PM
Jarvis Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Kim, I am 35 and go to about 4 or 5 shows a year and travel 150 to some each way. It is very hard for me to take off work during the middle of the week. I will never go to IOWA gas because i will not waste a full week of vacation. I don't bring my wife because i think it's stupid to pay money for her to come in for someone that hates this stuff. It's not that i don't have the money to spend.

When i posted under 30 get in free... if you guys only see 4 or 5 people or less that are 30 than why not make it free. Some guy walks up to the door and finds out it cost $20 to get in he might not come in. I made this topic to try and help younger guys get interested.

I will tell you what got me started... besides being around old cars all my life, talking with some really nice collectors here in town and seeing there displays and how it looked is what got me hooked. You never know when some guy comes to your house he could be a future collector!

#3794 Sun Oct 22 2006 04:11 PM
I
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
I
Well, I'm 27 and my husband 28. We frequently take off from work to go to shows and easily "blow" 2k if it's something we want. As a matter of fact we are leaving Thur. nite for Peotone. I think the point here is that in order to keep this hobby going, there has to be an inlet for younger people in order to afford things. I am fortunate that my husband and I make very good money and are able to invest in this stuff. Not to many people our age can go out and buy up a bunch of pumps at an auction, or pay cash for a Harley. It's all about the fun of it. Do I agree about wives getting in for free? Not really because in my case I am more of the collector than my husband. Do I think it's fair or right to have shows on Thursday's or Fridays...I wouldn't do it if I was a promoter. Most people..."your everyday collector" are not going to take time off from work for a show because they need to save time for family vacations or whatever. So SuperAmerica...here I am. A "younger" collector...with money...and I do take off work to go to shows. As a matter of fact I've probably out bid you a time or two at auctions...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved