Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#496590 Thu Dec 05 2013 02:15 PM
s932 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Just thought I would ask everyone's opinion on broken globes as they seem to be coming more apart of our hobby. Im not trying to bring any negative comments to this thread just honest discussion what everyone thinks. Everyone's opinion matters on this. I myself only use broken lenses for the wall to see so I won't pay more than 25 for one and I only have one. But I see at the last Matthews auction the Hancock brought 250. So does rarity really make a broke piece of glass still worth that kind of money maybe so if I was completing the globe. What does everyone else think?

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
here is my personal opinion... for a cities service clover body globe, i would buy one that was broken. because the 2500-3500 that they usually bring is just too high for me on one piece. the value of it doesnt matter to me because its something I plan to keep for a really long time. but I also wouldnt spend much to get a broken one... i watched that hancock sell at matthews, and knew what it was labeled in Scott's guide, and I passed on it.

I would say for resale, any broken globe is a bad investment. but if you want that item for your collection, and aren't willing to pay the high price of a complete one... then why not spend a few bills and partially satisfy that craving?

Wanted: Sweney Oil items - Peoria, IL
Weekly Oil Can Auctions: www.OilCanAuctions.com
Collection & Items for Sale: www.OnceAlwaysPetro.com
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I think it depends on the globe or type of globe. broken lenses I think are OK as a filler for the back or as the only way someone like myself could afford a rare high dollar globe.

I have 2 broken lenses currently one a Richfield 15" bullseye lens I paid $25 for and a 13.5" bay lens that was on the backside of a globe when I purchased it. At one time I had a shell clam globe that had a chunk taken out of the base but was not visible when mounted in a globe ring. Hurt the value some but not totally but was still a good globe I think. I sold that to 59fairlane from this site, he may still have it.

I think broken lenses carry little value since its just pretty broken glass.

Got Socony???

Tom
L
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
L
I focus on a small company that was bought out during the depression. So I feel fortune to have some rough signage and cans,which I'm always excited to find better and upgrade these items. Problem I have with these items my eye always focuses on the flaws.
A globe lens broken is just that broken and of little to no value to me. Even turned against wall I know its broke. Quantity doesn't out weigh quality when it comes to globes. Sure others will feel different.

*Wanted Pierce Pennant Petroleum*
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
I have never purchased any broken lenses intentionally, but several have arrived this way courtesy of USPS and UPS, lol. In these cases I have kept the lenses and glued them together until another single came along to make my globe complete. I also come from the "you only see one side of a globe on a shelf anyways" group, so I don't mind only having single sided globes personally.

But to the question at hand....Do you think broken lenses will/are seeing the upward value trend that barn hanger signs and other lesser condition items are enjoying at the present time in our hobby? At one time, these items were passed over as junk basically and are now seeing major price gains. To me a broken lens will always be that, a broken disc of glass with nominal value. If broken lenses became valuable you will see a lot more dump digging going on, as can you imagine the thousands of globes in landfills right now? Maybe newer entry level collectors are OK with broken lenses. Instead of spending many hundreds or thousands of dollars on an unbroken globe, they can get the same look for a fraction of the price, and they are fine with this.

I could personally see a broken super rare lens bringing a small fraction of an unbroken lens, but not much more than that. Even broken it is still technically rare, but just not all that valuable.
Just some thoughts off the top of my head,
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I'm an entry level collector as of now I just bought a Dino supreme globe all original and it has a small bb hole in one of the lenses so I turned it to the wall and it looks great.

Oilzum, 1qt Oil Cans, Gas and Oil smalls, Oldsmobile collectables.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Broken lenses/ globes have a place in the hobby. While not worth near as much as an unbroken one, it can fill a space on the shelf and help show the history of a company. Some globes/ lenses just don't turn up or turn up at a price a smaller collector can afford. I think the value depends on what it is/ how it looks/ who wants it. A rare/ hard to find broken Sinclair globe would probably be worth more to a Sinclair collector than to an average globe collector that is not brand specific. Some say a broken lens is just broken glass, other "normal" people see an old empty oil can as just that, an empty tin can.

US Air Force Retired, 1981-2007
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is one that I shared with the group a few months back. This particular one piece globe has a hole on the backside upper rim area. We all know this globe could go for well over $10K if in good condition. Paid $60 for it and it looks great on the shelf for a whole lot less money. If you are a globe "purest" a cracked lens/globe wouldn't work for you and understand that. But for the rest of us getting a high priced globe that displays well at bargain pricing works everyday. It's a personal preference kind of thing.

1.jpg

Steve
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Different Strokes for Different Folks w/ Smaller [or None at all] Budgets.
Displaying broken lenses is not as bad as Stuffing a Fake Clock mech into your Wayne 60 or 36B. At the very least the Lenses are Real, but the pumps are ..........

Last edited by Dick Bennett; Thu Dec 05 2013 05:49 PM.
s932 Offline OP
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
This has been a great discussion so far. I never thought about the one piece I would put that in my collection. So I guess I'm changing my mind a little.

Originals only for me. Always looking for Simpson oil, Super A, and MFA oil cans and globes.
Shawn Morris
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Good question Shawn!

Broken lenses to me have minimal value. That said, I was the one who bid $250 ($275 with buyers premium) for the Hancock globe on Dan's sale.

It came on a new 15" metal body that had a really good quality paint job that was worth $100-125. That leaves me $150-175 in the broken lens. I have a single mint condition Hancock lense in my collection. I am not willing to spend $5000-6000 to complete it but for a tiny fraction of the cost I have completed it and if I ever sell the globe the cracked lense would add maybe a few hundred dollars to the sale price.

There is no right or wrong with damaged globes. My advice to other collectors has always been - Buy what you like and can afford!

Lonnie Hop

Wanted: Ripple Body Globes, picture globe, any Dixie Distributors keyhole gas pump globe and ANYTHING from Old Dutch Refining, Muskegon, MI Musgo sign
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
I don't see established collectors lining up in the near future to buy broken lenses.

I realize that everyone collects within their means. Some have more to spend and some less. Bearing that in mind, their is a market for everything as long as it is valued realistically.

As more entry level collector's start seeking out these broken or minimal value items they will create their own market and a shortage due to a greater demand which will cause an upward trend in pricing.

Much like barn hanger signs. I still pass on them but am always amazed at what members ask for them even on this site. They always seem to eventually sell.

Dave GILL,
Dave's Garage & Memorabilia, Inc.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Buy what you like! Sometimes money is a factor. Question is this... Same piece of glass that is 60 years old is worth $2000 and it cracks and now it's worth $50?
Some might still see more value than $50... Don't look down on someone for wanting a broken globe.
I would rather own a broken lens for $50 then a junk repop globe.

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
When I started in this hobby we threw away broken lenses. Then guys started paying $10 for back lenses. Then $20-$30 and now they are reaching $40-$60?

Looking for anything from Hoosier Pete, Platolene 500 and Red Bird.
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
I don't see a problem with broken lenses. I don't see them having any investment potential, but if you have one good (let's say) Richfield lens and come across a broken one for $10 for the backside of the pump, are you really going to pass on it until you can find another?

Much like putting a clockface in a Wayne 60 or taking singles to make a twin or triple pump (both examples are comparable IMO), it's your collection and if you're comfortable with those pumps or having a broken lens, more power to ya.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved