Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
OP Offline
S
Hi everyone,

I found this gas pump in my grandpa's garage and I am trying to find out some more information about it - how old it is, what it might be worth, etc. The information on the tag calls it a "Long Distance Gasolene Storage System" and it was apparently manufactured by S.F. Bowser & Co. of Fort Wayne, IN. It's missing the hose and nozzle but from what I can see it appears otherwise intact. Is there anywhere I can find a replacement hose?

Here are some pictures of the pump and the tag (I have more hi-res pictures if needed). Any information I could get would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Scott

Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Welcome to the site Scott. Nice pump. My guess... Bowser 41 w/o accesories. Shown on page 99 of the "Gas Pump" bible, written by Jack Sim. The book is available here, in the book store link. As far as hose and nozzle, lots of vendors here too.....

Anything Chevron
[Linked Image from i17.photobucket.com]
I'd rather be flying.....
B
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
B
First off welcome to the site Scott.

I have the same pump, paid $250.00 for it with a freash coat of red paint on it. Mine was used to fill bottles or cans. As far as age, not sure I'm at work and don't have Jack's gas pump book in front of me, I'm sure someone on here will post something about the age. On the tag they were still spelling Gasoline, (Gasolene)that might date it.

Brian

[This message has been edited by BLange (edited 06-25-2006).]

[This message has been edited by BLange (edited 06-25-2006).]

Always looking for SKELLY items.
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Its listed as still being sold as a comercial pump until 1955. The book, also shows it with a faucet attatchment, not a nozzle. The hose, is part of the accesories.

Anything Chevron
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks for the replies! That gives me some information to start with, I will check out the Jack Sim book to see what I can find. Unfortunately my grandpa had a stroke some years ago and can't talk so I'm not able to find out when or where he acquired this pump. Strictly guessing, I think it may be from the early 20's? The last patent date on the tag looks like 1915.

Brian, you mentioned that your pump was used to fill bottles and cans, is that was this type of pump was used for? This one has a selector on the side allowing the user to pump 1 gallon, 1/2 gallon, 1 quart, or 1 pint. I was wondering what anyone would want only a pint of gas for

Thanks again for the information!

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
As Thunder said, this pump was made untill 1955. The only thing a PAT. tag tells you is that it is NOT older than the last date & that something [could be a screw] on this unit was PAT. on that date.

These pumps were used for a variety of differant products [ie: lamp oil, kerosene, oil, paint, gasolene, naphta etc.]. These were a very accurate measuring pump w/ little to no maintance required.

Because yours has a CAP NUT on top, yours HAD a SPICKETor HOSE attached on the side of the main casting.
Like this that Gatorgas posted on 4/28/06 http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/4945/pumps0106lh.th.jpg
or this SALES MANS SAMPLE of mine. http://img129.imageshack.us/img129/3720/samples4313cn.jpg
Dick

------------------
**PUT A LID ON IT**
1qt RE-LIDDING

[This message has been edited by Dick Bennett (edited 06-25-2006).]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Scott, hopefully I can explain this. The pump was made as a pump. Whatever it was used for, was up to the store owner. Pints for Kerosene, Gallons for Gasoline, quarts for oil, ect. However the store owner used it, determinied which measurement stop he would use. As far as the bottles, before quart cans were made, oil was put into bottles like this, for sale at the service station.

The one on the right, is typicly what was used at the service station. The one on the left, an ordinary "Mason" jar, is something that would be used by a car owner, for his own use. As fpr gasoline, back then, it was usually dispensed into a can, then the car owner would pour it through a funnel, with a chamois in it, to filter the gas. Either way, a hose and nozzle, though not wrong, would probably not be typical for your pump. HTH...

Anything Chevron
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A TRIGGER type nozzel would be WRONG, BUT a SPICKET/FAUCET type nozzel would be correct on the end of a hose.
db

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Should have a bananna nozzle with wings.
i believe one of mine is around 1911 0r 1913 as it is stamped in the lead seals.

If it was Black original paint it was for other than gasoline.

Can granpa shake his head yes or no if you write down a question??

S
OP Offline
S
Well like I said, getting information from my grandpa these days is somewhat of a challenge to say the least, but I was able to figure out that he got it at a garage sale of sorts during the late 70's from a family who used to own a general store here in town. Wether or not this pump was used in the store remains unclear, but it seems likely from what I've learned here (thanks Thunder II & Dick!).

Dodogas, I do know that it has been repainted at least once by my grandpa when he got it. When I was cleaning it today the top layer of paint started flaking off in spots, and the color underneath is also red. I'm not sure if it's original or not, but I will try to find out. If it's red, does that mean it was used for gasoline only?

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Here is an EARLIER version [locking flap for locking the pump handle]of the 41. 1 picture shows the spicket/faucet type valve that would have used on end of hose.
Ebay # 250001810664
db

G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Here is a picture of the the spicket assy on my Bowser. Richard

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G&B & a few other pumps used the WINGED nozzels.
From the factory, BOWSER used a SPICKET/Fauset on the end of hose [same as Gator's spicket above, but without bucket hook & longer tube on bottom].
The pumps that were sold for gasolene had a debri/water trap cylinder that attached between the main body & the check valve.
db

[This message has been edited by Dick Bennett (edited 06-26-2006).]

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
As far as I know the water seperator is an option, I do have a photocopy booklet somewhere.

I think the term is Spigot. I like the one in the pic that has 2 spigots and the trap thing. I think the Kerosene or oil pumpers had a single spigot, no hose.

One possibility on the original question, the pump may have started out pumping gas then gone in the store for kerosene. Could also have been used for gas the whole time. In the booklet it says black for other fluids , red paint for gas, and the packing is different.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Spigot is correct, OOPS !
[should have done a spell check]

db

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved