Print Thread
#662015 Thu Jul 28 2016 07:00 AM
D
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
Hello All,
I am in process of purchasing a progressive lines round Mobilgas sign. The sign was part of the collection of a restaurant chain that "antiqued" their signage with yellowed shellac. I was unable at the time to see the sign up close as it was 8 foot up on a wall in the corner. Obviously when the lady gets the sign down and I go to finalize the purchase I can inspect it closer, but has anyone ever had any experience/issues with the shellac staining a porcelain sign? The majority of the sign is red and white, so I wonder how the white will fare while cleaning. I think I will take a razor blade with me if the lady will let me test a spot, but if she won't I'm kind of taking a risk I guess. I know porcelain is resistant to a lot of things, but haven't run into this before.
BTW, I don't believe the sign was restored at all, just covered to make it appear antiqued.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!
Please use For Sale forums to sell

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
DWSheffer #662017 Thu Jul 28 2016 07:35 AM
E
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
E
smile Good Morning. I had a similar experience when I purchased a 6 ft. SIGNAL sign that had hung in a local restaurant for over 40 years. Assuming your sign is Porcelain and not painted tin, I used paint stripper. The Shellac blistered-up and was easily taken off with a plastic squeegee so as to not scratch the sign. I would suggest trying first along an edge to insure you will experience the same results. Don't forget to wear plastic gloves and not breathe the fumes. wink Ed.

DWSheffer #662022 Thu Jul 28 2016 09:34 AM
C
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
C
Shellac won't stain porcelain unless the surface was already in very poor condition where the top layer of hardened glass might become exposed(even then with saturation cleaning it can be improved).

Definitely test an area, take a bottle of nail polish remover and rag and remove a small bit of the shellac. Inspect the porcelain, it should have a good gloss to it.

Collecting anything keeps you young at heart!
DWSheffer #662029 Thu Jul 28 2016 10:49 AM
D
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
Thanks Ed and Paul...I will post an update soon.
Darin

Darin Sheffer
DWSheffer #662038 Thu Jul 28 2016 12:28 PM
D
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
D
Well, nevermind...the deal is off. The lady sold it out from under me, just got the email.
Thanks again anyways guys,
Darin

Darin Sheffer

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved