Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
V
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
V
Hi Everyone,
I finally got started on my restoration of my Tokheim pump. Its rougher than I thought it was. I stripped the guts out and think Im ready to take it to the body shop. A couple questions:
1.Is it stripped down enough? If the pump was rare or in better shape, I guess Id take it completely apart, but this seems good to me.
2.The frame looks pretty good, but i have some dents in sides and doors. I plan on asking the body guy to try to straighten and bang them out. Is it ok to use bondo for the dents that dont come out? Im assuming so since once again, this isnt a museum piece.
3. The Computer. Its all frozen up. Should I clean it and spray it with WD-40 to try to free it up?
I have more questions, but Ill save them for when I try to put her back together. Thanks for the help, hopefully the pictures will post ok.
John

Wanted: Original Jenney Gas, Husky, Marathon, and Frontier Globes
Archived Forum Area

These topics are archived because they are older. You may not post new replies. Contact member through their email in their Profile or by PM message.
Help with contacting members

V
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
V

P
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
P
1. I take all of the unecessary stuff I do not need out, all of it just for weight and handling purposes, the pumps and motors are usually locked up and do not work anyway.
2. If the dents do not come out feel free to use bondo or whatever body filler you prefer to use.
3. I use Kroil oil on the computers. Spary it thoroughly and keep working it with a pair of channel locks, it will eventually free up.

The main thing is that this is your pump, restore it to the max or min, whichever way you like it because it is your pump. Post some pics when you are complete.

Thanks, Phil

Thanks, Phil
V
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
V
I love this website, but cant they implement a better way to post photos? This is the most time-consuming and complicated process I have ever had to go through. The image shack site takes forever. Ill try to post photos of the frame tomorrow.

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
As a dial-up user, I don't have any problems using Imageshack.
db

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
You need to strip all the trim off all the doors and panels before it goes to the body shop. They are not going to want to work around them and they need to be cleaned and polished up to be put back on after the body work and paint is done. JMO. Also looks like you have mis-matched doors. One has ad glass the other does not. Not that it is a big deal. Can only see one side at a time and most people would not notice. The Tokheim 300's make nice pumps restored as I did one to Fire Chief. Heavy as heck though if not gutted.

Keith

[This message has been edited by keithia (edited 01-05-2007).]

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
V
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
V
Thanks for the advice. I will strip all the trim from the doors. Others have said that my pump is a mishmash because the doors do not match the model number on the side (model 39-A, date of 10/54), so I dont rally know what it really is. Its in pretty rough shape, but I like it anyway and think it will look good in front of my garage.
Dick, I have DSL and for some reason have trouble with that site.

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
What is dial up? LOL

Get rid of all the heavy junk unless you intend to pump gas. Before it is painted I always refit the cabinent if there are any major dents/damage. Attention to detail is most important, but most of all have fun with it. Rich B

clockface pumps, Harleys, the Beach
V
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
V
Rich,
I have all the heavy stuff stripped out. I tried again to post a pic of the frame but that image shack doesnt like me.
By refitting the cabinet I assume you mean banging the dents out, straightening it? I am having a body man sandblast and paint it for me, but he has never done a pump before. Should I advise him to put the sides and doors back on the frame, straighten them out, then disassemble before sandblasting and painting? ( I assume this would be the way to do it) Maybe I should just put it back together and then give it to him to straighten out.
He says about $200 to do the work. Seems reasonable to me. You guys?

D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
200.00 to strighten and paint your pump parts? WOW that is dirt cheap. You can not even buy the materials for that price let alone his time. Good luck and be sure to post pictures of your completed pump.

V
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
V
Ok guys, I have it stripped down pretty good and will be taking the pump to the body man today or Monday. I have read past posts and think I have a pretty good handle on things up to this point, but have a few questions.
Im going to keep the Computer here at home and try to clean that up myself. It is currently frozen up. I read a post about soaking it, then spraying it with WD-40. Is it really a good idea to soak this in a bucket of water? If so, throw in some type of detergent? Laundry? Dish?
Once I have it cleaned up and let the WD-40 work overnight, how do I try freeing it up? Ive looked at the gears (wow there are a lot of them!)and am unsure of what part I should try moving to free it up.
Thanks again for the help and to everyone who has posted throughout the years. What a valuable resource.
John

M
Mac Offline
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
M
John,
Depending on how dirty it is, I have had a lot of luck simply taking it to a car wash and spraying it with a high pressure soap and then blasting the soap off. The numbers on mine cleaned up really nice and white. I then took the computer home and set on an old garbage lid (upside down to capture all the wd-40) and soaked my computer thoroughly in wd-40. I let it sit for a day and then tried to turn the computer over. I rocked the crank back and forth gently until it freed up ....then soaked it again with wd-40 and let it sit for a couple more days.....and tried again to rotate it over. Mine turns over very smoothly. DO NOT be tempted to take it apart! I did that once and was very lucky to get mine back together so it worked.......over four hours later. Good luck on the restoration. I'm sure others will have better ideas on cleaning it, but what I did worked great.

Mac

Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
If you have the old glass send one to the body shop..same with the ad glass..The glass on your Tokheim 300 is curved and you need to make sure the glass fits the curve when all the body work is done..it is not good to find out it wont fit after it is Painted..hope this helps

Mark Sconyers...Memories Restored

[This message has been edited by 50smemories (edited 01-06-2007).]

W
W
congrats on starting your pump restoration. I just finished mine christmas eve. what everyone has told you is right just follow their directions and you wont go wrong. Heres a link to pics of my pump and if someone says if you do one pump you'll want to do another. LOL it;s true I'm looking for my next project. Hey my garage has 4 sides......and the old mustang sitting there wont go anywhere ...http://s122.photobucket.com/albums/o275/workman1953/

------------------
Smiles Between the Miles and greetings from Iowa

Smiles Between the Miles and greetings from Iowa
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Vermonter,

You refer to your pump as a Tokheim 39 but it is not a 39 it is a Tokheim 300. If it has a 39 tag on it that is wrong. Sight glass is on the side, long nozzle receiver, door windows are horizontal not vertical ect. If you need to buy parts make sure you request Tok 300's not 39's.

Keith

[This message has been edited by keithia (edited 01-06-2007).]

Drive with Care and Buy Sinclair!! I buy Sinclair globes, signs, cans, ect.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Classic Car Project auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved