Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#91031 Sat Mar 27 2004 12:36 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I started my first pump in Sept. 2003 and finished it by Christmas 2003. It was a Bennett 647 done in Polly Gas. I loved it so much I had to start taking apart my G&B 176 the next day. Finally, 3 months to the day, I have finished my pump with a lot of blood and sweat. I decided I was going to do every part of this pump completely on my own. I removed all the paint and rust by hand, sanded the entire pump by hand, pounded out the dents, used bondo to fill in the dents and voids, primed, base coated, and clear coated, and put it all back together with new bolts and screws. The only thing I had done for me was the engraving of the new ID tag (the old ones were pretty beat up). That was a lot of work, but a hell of a lot of fun. I would like to thank all of you for your advice along the way to help tackle some of these difficult steps. Without the advice from the members of this site, I probably wouldn't have been able to finish this project. So, here it is. I hope you guys like it. Texaco is one of my favorite companies.

BEFORE

AFTER WITH LIGHT

AFTER WITHOUT LIGHT

NEW ID TAGS UP CLOSE

Thanks again to Vic's Place and Gas Pump Heaven for the globe body, 15" lenses, decals, and ID tags. You guys are great. If you notice this pump is sitting in my house. This is the only place where we have a 10 foot ceiling and my wife was nice enough to let me leave it in our living room for a few weeks to enjoy it. I don't know of many wives who would let their crazy husband put a 10 foot gas pump in the living room. I lucked out on that one. Take care. ~Jason

[This message has been edited by pollyman (edited 03-27-2004).]

~Jason

6 ft signs & rare pump plates – Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Polly, Flying A, Douglas, Richfield, PDQ, Stinker, Beeline, Neon , Dealership.

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#91032 Sat Mar 27 2004 03:10 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
JASON, I'M NOT A BIG VISIBLE FAN...BUT THIS BABY (#2) OF YOURS DONE IN TEXACO IS A BEAUTY. A JOB WELL DONE IN MY BOOK!!!! LOOKS LIKE YOU JUST SQUEEZED IT IN BELOW THE SHEETROCK!!! AWESOME & THANKS FOR SHARING!

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGES

DOC @ THE AMERICAN GARAGE
#91033 Sat Mar 27 2004 04:40 AM
G
Veteran Member
Online Content
Veteran Member
G
Jason, We do a lot of visible restorations. They are beasts! However once they are done they are without a doubt the best looking gaspumps out there. Doesn't matter the model or design.....they are just HOT!!! You did a fine job. For those who have never restored a visible, you have no idea of the work involved....Paul

#91034 Sat Mar 27 2004 04:59 AM
G
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
G
Looks great Jason. Paul is right, people just don't understand how much work is involved, then they balk at the price. Tell your wife the living room has finally got some "class". LOL Great job.

#91035 Sat Mar 27 2004 06:47 AM
Very cool Jason, but the question we all are wondering is........

Did you start on the third one yet???
Keep us posted, looks great!

Ryan

FREEDOM oil items wanted.

#91036 Sat Mar 27 2004 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Jason..Outstanding..if you make pumps look that good I can only imagine what you do for peoples teeth...you made my smile bigger this morning and you havent even been in my mouth...LOL

------------------
Hubba the GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Shoreline WA

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
#91037 Sat Mar 27 2004 09:50 AM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
LOOOOKS GOOOOOD! VERY IMPRESSIVE!!!!
that didnt take you very long, you are GETTIN-R-DONE!!! --- yeah whats 3rd on the list? you have a green & a red one i suppose blue or yellow is next?!

#91038 Sat Mar 27 2004 10:36 AM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Awesome job, Jason!! I know how much work and $ go into restoring a visible as I have 4 of them. I love the WHITE hose and your choice of TEXACO. How did you get along with cleaning the inside of the cylinder? Were you able to get inside from the top w/o removing the cylinder?
Not too many of us can say that we have a wife that will permit pumps in the house. I'm sure your wife will fall in love with your pump and make it a permanent part of the home.
Sure wish you were closer, I'd have me a new dentist. Much rather look at your collectibles than the pics of root canals and dentures that hang on the walls of mine.
Rod

------------------

#91039 Sat Mar 27 2004 04:44 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
You're not kidding when you say visibles are tough. They are heavy and hard to take apart without breaking the glass. They are even harder to put back together. I was able to completely disassemble the top portion and clean the glass real good on the ground with fine steel wool and glass cleaner. That glass was in great shape for being over 80 years old. When I put it back together I used a cork rings so that glass wouldn't move around when I have to transport it. That pump is complelety rust free from globe to base. I was also able to use the original wiring since it was in such good shape. That was the only easy part of the whole restoration.

As far as my next pump.... My wife wants a Wayne 60. I love those too, but I need to find one thats in pretty good shape. Anybody know of one in California? Let me know.

A wayne 60 in Gilmore sounds good to me. We'll see if I can find one. Thanks guys. ~Jason

~Jason

6 ft signs & rare pump plates – Signal, Hancock, Mohawk, Polly, Flying A, Douglas, Richfield, PDQ, Stinker, Beeline, Neon , Dealership.

#91040 Sun Mar 28 2004 05:37 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Great job Jason. It looks really good.

------------------
Scott in Kansas City
quarts@mindspring.com

Scott Shipers
WANTED: quart picture cans
#91041 Sun Mar 28 2004 07:11 AM
G
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
G
good looking pump.you must have alot more patience than i do.i take my pumps apart and take them to the media blaster.i could imagine the time to sand them down to bare metal.keep on pumping!

MILT
GASALLEY
#91042 Sun Mar 28 2004 10:58 AM
M
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
M
Great job Jason!!! Lets see some more now. There are lots of 60s still out there, be patient and you'll find what you are looking for.

#91043 Sun Mar 28 2004 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
nice looking pump, the best part is knowing that you did all the work. Hopefully your wife will let you keep it in the house for good.

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved