Home | Help | Events | Auctions | Parts | Pictures | Links | Contact
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#82470 Thu May 08 2003 01:34 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Well guys, here's my idea for a counter top for my bath in my garage. Do you think it will work? All of the add glass will be set in mortar and should be solid. Comments welcomed....

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood

[This message has been edited by oltoydoc@pacbell.net (edited 05-08-2003).]

Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
oltoydoc@vintagegas.com
(310)415-9562 Cel.
Vintage Gas
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#82471 Thu May 08 2003 05:24 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Don,
Neat idea but I don't think mortar is the way to go. Thinset mortar for setting ceramic tile would be better than the regular mortar that's used for bricks. I think over time the mortar and possible moisture would have an adverse effect on the paint.

I think a better way to do it would be to pour a clear acrylic top with your ad glass in it. The back splash would have to be poured seperately. If you were to use the acrylic the ad glass would be embedded and not on the surface. That way you wouldn't have to worry about breakage or moisture. I've seen poured acrylic tops before. They can be pretty cool. Can't tell you where to find the stuff, but I know it's available.
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
#82472 Thu May 08 2003 05:39 AM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
Like Bob said, if you don't put the glass below the surface it will git water uder it or broke but I think its neat,
You might try Oak wood and glue or silacone dots to hold them then use licquid plastic, might work. can't do sheep on there though.

#82473 Thu May 08 2003 07:08 AM
T
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
T
I LIKE IT! ya gotta have it! figure somethin out! i wanna see the finished product.

#82474 Thu May 08 2003 07:18 AM
A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
Looks great, although that Chevron Supreme does not look right, that should be taken out and sent to me
Why not do the counter in plexi or clear acrylic and place a low watt bulb under, that way they come to life. Something mellow, not Vegas but just a little light from the bottom to make the glass stand out. Just a thought... cool counter!
(the Chevron goes to me though)
Jeff

I remember the good old days when gold was worth more than rust!
#82475 Thu May 08 2003 07:53 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
oltoydoc:

Kewl building and a great idea for the countertop.

But . . . I wouldn't want to do anything that permantely attached the glass to anything. It would never be able to be used for anything (pumps, etc.) again. And I'd be afraid that the mortor/thin-set would attack the paint on the glasse panels and ruin the whole thing before you even got it completed.

My suggestion is - since this is in the 'garage' and probably won't see constant usage - to mount a thick sheet of opalescence white plastic/styreen to the top of the counter. Have a fabrication shop make you a 1/4" spacer out of dark opaque material with holes just a little bit larger than the add glass panels (about a 1/16" all around). Now use your thin-set to attach ceramic tile around the edges and the back. Set 'bull-nosed' tile across the front, level with the top of the 'spacer' sheet. Then put a sheet of plate glass on top of the whole thing. Have the plate glass ground with a rounded edge on the top surface of the front edge and a hole just large enough to go around the sink. Install the ad glass panels in the holes by just setting them in the holes, set the plate glass on top of everything and caulk around the sides, back and sink. Leave the front 'open/uncaulked' so the ad glass can 'breathe'.

Do what the H2O-King says and add lights underneath and you have a very kewl countertop. And, if you ever want to change-out any of the add glass panels, all you have to do is to un-caulk the glass and lift it off to make the change.

Best of both worlds in my book.

Later . . .

Jim

P.S. You could also have an insert made at a stained glass shop using the extra ad glasse(s) to go in the window over the sink.

#82476 Thu May 08 2003 08:51 AM
D
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
D
there you go , all that rain up there it might not rust, ha ha , and if you talk real nice to me I might let you barrow a glass window that came from a station that had a window above the door , check this baby out , don't git to close to the monitor, ha

[This message has been edited by Dwaine Buck (edited 05-08-2003).]

#82477 Thu May 08 2003 09:04 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Wow! you guys are too much!!!!!! I love the ideas. Jim, I had to read yours twice just to visualize it. Great idea! Elvis, I think you are on the right track with some lighting. One more reason for this great site. You guys just keep coming up with some great ideas! This keeps up, my "Garage Majal" will be a tourist trap on the way to Crater lake. I'll be making a killing off the tourist by charging admission, selling "Old Gas Radio Pop", getting them to sign my Museum guest book (thanks Dwaine) and writing off the new crap I buy to store (I mean display)in the garage, having my yearly S.O.B. (Southern Oregon Bash) so all you guys can bring your best stuff to Oregon and of course I'd get first pick as I made sure you all checked in with me before you set up. And yes, I'd figure out a way to charge a "bidders premium" so you all would have something to bitch about later (I mean Chat about) and I'd have a collectable Insurance guy there to sell you insurance for next years tornados. Even the Canadian guys would be invited so they could get out of the snow. Oh, I have some trees to hug, and of course Elvis could flick boogers on them, and naturally all the locals could key your cars. That should about cover it. I'm sure you'll let me know if I forgot anything.
Thanks again for the great ideas on my sink top guys I'm starting to tear up with loving emotion. My inner child is sobbing....Love ya man........
Damn, nearly forgot. Yes Hubba will be slinging Ink on the porch!

------------------
Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood

[This message has been edited by oltoydoc@pacbell.net (edited 05-08-2003).]

Don "oltoydoc" Sherwood
oltoydoc@vintagegas.com
(310)415-9562 Cel.
Vintage Gas
#82478 Thu May 08 2003 09:09 AM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Don - Thats great, lightem up too. the best thing is it has a built in drool bucket - LOL
---------------------------------------------
Hubba, sinks make a great drool bucket in Shoreline WA

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
#82479 Thu May 08 2003 09:22 AM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
Anyway you look at it moisture is the main problem. I thought a long time a go it would be cool to make a coffee table with pics or matchbooks or license plates. you could set the into routered pockets in wood or cut thru a thin layer to place them in, then make a glass top. Near the edge but in about 1/2 in you cut a groove and get o-ring on a roll and put it in the groove all the way around (the tabletop), then silicone the outer edge.
Because yours will always be around water , why not put it up the back of the sink, less moisture problem and you can enjoy from a distance more often...................dodogas

#82480 Thu May 08 2003 09:31 AM
K
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
K
you forgot the hot dogs doc.... ya' gotta feed the tourists hot dogs !!!... great idea with the ad glass and lighting it all up... just that..... well... uhhhhhh... the glass goin' on up the back wall makes it look a little "busy"... ahhhhhhh.... martha stewart i ain't ... pass the mustard please....

#82481 Thu May 08 2003 11:05 AM
A
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
A
Doc your killin' me! In all seriousness, what about a picture of me above the sink?
No... kidding, I think you need to clear coat the backs, duh. The adhesive things is a bit too much, think it will mess up the paint. (most adhesives are low Ph) On a side note, if you soak the spinners in pool acid the metal cleans up nice, the coating on the spinner melts off though. I own a pool store, you didn't think I'd at least try it?!
What was I talking about? Oh yeah, I think the best over-all we have come up with is a routered out seat for the glass and some kind of a cover. Of coarse you will need mood light under the sink. (too cool)
What about this, router out the sizes you need, put some cool wood laminate on top of the plywood, any laminate would work. That part is easy. Have glass cut to fit over it, silicone the backsplash and the side. The front can just be rounded glass, like a table top. I don't think you would have any trouble with water, it is just a sink! The glass will seal it all, the front would let it breath. It would be hard to get water under the glass from the front. You would end up with a glas top vanity, nothing too odd. I have seen it done, there is a bar or something down here that did it, can't remember where. It would be easy to make a simple light box under the sink. (maybe on a dimmer?)
Of course, a velvet Elvis picture could not hurt but I digress...
Jeff

I remember the good old days when gold was worth more than rust!
#82482 Thu May 08 2003 12:25 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
HELLO DON.. I WOULD PUT THEM AROUND THE EDGES ONLY.. AND DO SOME SORT OF PORCELAIN SIGN FOR THE COUNTER TOP. IF YOU COULD FIND A COUPLE SIGNS,, [EVEN A REPOP] AND USE THOSE AND CUT OUT FOR THE SINK?? DON'T PUT THE GLASS IN PERMANATLY,, CAUSE WHEN I GET THERE I WANNA STEAL THE VELTEX ONE!! THE SKY IS THE LIMIT!! GREAT IDEA WITH THIS,, I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE IT WHEN IT'S DONE.. FRANK..

#82483 Thu May 08 2003 05:46 PM
O
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
O
Great idea Don, but If all that ad glass is original I'd probably shelf it and use reproduction ad glass. but that's just me. either way it should be awesome. Go for it'''''' Ron;;;;;

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved