Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#96779 Sat Nov 15 2003 02:49 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
I hoped last month's feature on the different types of globe bodies helped someone. There are more body types but I just ran out of time to get them posted. We did cover the major ones though.

This month we are going to feature non-US gas and oil globes. Lance will be posting several Canadian globes soon. I appreciate his willingness to take the time to post his pictures.

If anyone has any non-US globes jump in and post them!
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

http://www.lastgas15.com/
Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
#96780 Sat Nov 15 2003 06:44 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Red Indian is one the most sought after and recognized Canadian brands, so I thought I'd start with a few globes from them. The company has a colorful history that dates all the way back to 1876, when it started out as the "McColl Brothers" who provided Oils, Greases, Varnishes and Paints to the Railways that were under contruction accross the country. Some historic dates are 1918 when the company incorporated as "McColl Brothers Limited", in 1927 the products began being marketed under the brand name "Red Indian" after a merger with "Frontenac Oil Refineries", from 1936-1938 a stock ownership struggle with "The Texas Company" in which Texaco eventually won and by 1940 the company changed it's name to "McColl-Frontenac Oil Company Ltd." They had already began introducing the line of Texaco Products including "Sky Chief" gasoline into the Canadian market alongside the Red Indian line, by 1947, the entire brand was disolved and replaced by Texaco completely. There is a lot more to the story, but who wants to read, lets see some pictures.

------------------
Lance
pogogas@telus.net
www.pogogas.com

#96781 Sat Nov 15 2003 06:45 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This one is a Beauty, a one piece baked globe from the 1920's. Baked globes seldom survived in this good of condition, it is definately a rare piece.

This may be the only known example of this globe. All Red Indian one piece globes are baked, this one was etched, I know it had a few people stumped. It is none the less a stunning globe, who ever wound up with it should be very proud.

A more familiar image but almost as rare, these globes seldom turn up. I rescued this one from an abandoned coal mine just out of Timmins Ontario (Home of Shania Twain) She wasn't home when I went through town.

This is another Rare globe, and its the only one I've ever seen. Can you imagine seeing a barn fresh Twin visible with a Marathon Blue and One of these sitting on top?

This is the last globe used before the company went strickly Texaco. It is common in old photos and advertsing to see this globe beside a Texaco Sky Chief globe, starting in the late 1930's through 1947. It is much more stylized than the earlier version, and this is the one you have to watch for unmarked repro's on. Count those feathers!

------------------
Lance
pogogas@telus.net
www.pogogas.com

[This message has been edited by pogogas (edited 11-15-2003).]

#96782 Sat Nov 15 2003 06:46 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A

This is a publicity photo circa 1947, showing a re-branded station. The Red Indian Globes tossed away and replaced with Texaco Globes, along with Repainted Pumps, and new Signage. The station is right here in Armstrong BC, a town of 4000, where I live. The building is still there today and serves as the towns glass shop, it is only a couple blocks from my house.

------------------
Lance
pogogas@telus.net
www.pogogas.com

[This message has been edited by pogogas (edited 11-15-2003).]

#96783 Sat Nov 15 2003 09:10 PM
P
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
P
Great globes Lance and thanks for the history.
---JERRY

------------------

JERRY
#96784 Sat Nov 15 2003 09:31 PM
R
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast
R
Super globes Lance you have a eye for the outstanding.Thanks for the photos.Rex

------------------

#96785 Sat Nov 15 2003 09:38 PM
D
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
D
One question I would like to throw out there is..Has anyone ever seen a Royalite Company globe?? or does anyone have a pic of the early neon sign with the crown on it?? Talked to a jobber had one, but says the company rounded them up and I have not even seen a pic of one.
There is some cool canadian globes like Arctic oil from Calgary....dodogas

#96786 Sat Nov 15 2003 09:50 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I have pictures of several Artic globes, I'll post them later this week, no Royalite globes, sorry Dodo. I added another Red Indian globe above, I almost forgot I had this one.

------------------
Lance
pogogas@telus.net
www.pogogas.com

#96787 Sun Nov 16 2003 05:00 AM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Dodo,
I have seen a picture of a Royalite globe in a collection.
Lance,
Great globes! Can't wait to see more.
Bob

Wanted: Gas pump globes:Sinclair & affiliates, IL companies. Ripple bodies. Anything Sinclair, Stoll, Pierce, 4 Bros.

#96788 Sun Nov 16 2003 10:54 AM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
My next globes are from "Great West Distibutors" out of Calgary Alberta, and their brand of "Red head" which they marketed all their products under, Gas, Oil, Greases, Batteries etc. Again, globes from this company are Rare, and a welcome addition to any collection.

This is the earliest globe I know of from them, probably from the early 1920's, Red Head was a small company and I doubt many survived.

Here is a later 15" globe with the more stylized artwork that carried through onto all the products. These are being reproduced in the same style, but there are Unmarked repros with a solid yellow background including behind the boys head, (Which never existed as far as I know) so be carefull out there.

This is the Ethyl version that would have sat beside the one above on a twin visible. These are also being reproduced in the same style, I beleive they are all dated.

This is the more common version, this would have been the last globe used by the company, as far as I know anyway. Again, an obscure company which little is know about, by me anyway.

------------------
Lance
pogogas@telus.net
www.pogogas.com

[This message has been edited by pogogas (edited 11-16-2003).]

#96789 Mon Nov 17 2003 05:17 PM
Petro Enthusiast
Petro Enthusiast

Regent Ethyl, one of many different British square globes. It is early 40's and was owned by Texaco.

This is my Esso tiger globe. It was an Esso promotion from the 60's.

Just got this one last week, have been after it for a while. A lovely four sided glass dominion motor spirit globe. Its dates from around 1935.

Will post some more British globes tomorrow!

#96790 Tue Nov 18 2003 07:12 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Awesome globes guys! Keep them coming.
Bob

#96791 Tue Nov 18 2003 07:45 PM
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
That Dominion globe is Killer...Neato
----------------------------------------
Hubba, Dominion gas sounds heavy Metal or Sci Fi or something...Cool

Hubba: GAS GEEK , OIL FREAK of Seattle WA
#96792 Wed Nov 19 2003 01:11 PM
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Larry Karlson sent this picture of an Australian globe. This company has ties to BP.

Thanks to Larry for sharing.

#96793 Thu Nov 20 2003 09:38 AM
B
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
B
VERY NICE GLOBES. CHEESE

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved