Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Hey Guys & Gals,

It's time to share the petro relics that we've stumbled across in our recent travels, and check out what other people have found as well.

If you would like to contribute to this feature, simply post the pictures here or email them directly to me and I will post them for you. Be sure to include a story or description with your submissions.

If it's too close to the next installment, please note that I may hold your contribution for posting when the new FATW comes up on the 5th day of each month.
Send 'em in!!

Happy trails!

Wes

Value Questions and Showcase forums

Please - NO offers to Buy or Sell in this forum category

Statements such as, "I'm thinking about selling this." are considered an offer to sell.
Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
First, I'd like to say that this month's Collectible of the Month (Vintage Photos) is amazing. Thanks very much to everyone who has participated thus far!

This month, let's start out with this great 1950s Cities Service porcelain station. It's a nice crossover between the icebox style and modern-streamlined.

The station is still in operation as a U-Haul dealer and car repair shop. The building is a steel-frame style with porcelain inside and out. You can't tell it in the pictures, but the pylon has Cities Service in the porcelain under the white paint.

The owner has an old can rack and wiper blade display that he sets out during business hours. The interior of the station, which I hope to photograph later, is remarkably original and intact.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
Here's an old porcelain station that I believe to be a Texaco, currently a car lot.

I stumbled across this old cottage-style station that I think looks like a Phillips.

It looks like the office and the bay were once two separate buildings that were later joined together. Due to the presence of wandering hoodlums, I wasn't able to spend very long at this location.

Wes

Abney Towing and Auto Repair in Hillsboro, MO.
A nice old building kept in beautiful shape.
I pass this old service station regularly on Highway 21. I've always wanted to take a picture but there would be trucks in front or I wouldn't have my camera. Today I had my camera and there was a truck in front on the "good" side but I took the pic anyway.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator

Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hackberry Store and station located oh old 66 east of Kingman AZ.

[This message has been edited by Jack R (edited 01-18-2008).]

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Hackberry Store

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Veteran Member
Veteran Member

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
On Saturday I was out driving and passed by an old Texaco station that I had heard was being restored. There were contractors working on the roof, so I stopped to chat. As it turns out, the owner is fully restoring the building for use as an office.

The station is a 1930 vintage Texaco, made primarily of cast concrete and block.

Green steel spanish-style tile roof panels are being installed, and concrete repairs are also underway

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
The owner was kind enough to tell me all about the station, show me around inside, and allow me to take pictures. He's very interested in making sure the restoration is authentic, correct, and performed to high quality standards.

Let's take a look inside! Here is the right-hand bay, which was the Lubrication bay. Notice the coal chute door on the left wall - it leads to a coal box that is adjacent to the furnace room. The building materials on the floor are covering the pit, which serves as a basement for the entire bay.

In this corner we find the access ladder to the pit.

The original garage door is still intact in the Lube bay, and will be restored. A duplicate will be created for the Washing bay.

Veteran Member
OP Offline
Veteran Member
This is the office, with the front wall behind me. The door on the left goes into the Lubrication bay, and the next door to the right is the furnace room.

The two bathrooms appear intact and original.

This view is of the left-hand bay, which, most likely, would have originally been the Washing bay. As you can see, the bay has been added onto by one carlength (sometime in the 1930s), with another overhead door at teh back. An in-floor hoist is also present here, but is likely not original to the bay.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Oldgas, Ryan Underthun 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Click here for Gas Pump auction listings

Copyright © 2023 Primarily Petroliana Interactive, All Rights Reserved